Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm so drawn to the sea these days... or to the lake (since it's what I can get to). My thoughts just drift there.

Last night, I rested. I've been house sitting with Court, but we decided to stay at our own homes last night. I'd gone home to clean, do laundry, homework, and sleep. At 7:30pm- after a relaxing bath, I crawled into my fluffed bed, just washed and crisply made (yes, I'm one of those who will make a bed, before getting into it), with a glass of red wine, chocolate, and my bible. I'd already enjoyed some lovely journaling and a little "soaking" earlier on. It was delightful.

As I opened my bible and read back through John 5 (what we read Monday for Bible Study), I came across a new story. The story of Jesus walking on the Sea of Galilee. Once again, the sea was rough. Today I'm pondering this story in my heart. Jesus has these multiple stories of letting his disciples be in a raging sea, thinking he is out of reach.... but he's not. One time, he sleeps, the next, he's not even on the boat. But, he walks across the rough waters to them. I'm not sure what's there exactly- but I just keep thinking of the sea. I keep thinking of God as a God of the seas.

You may or may not know the song, but there is one that I love, which begins:

Who is moving on the waters? Who is holding up the moon? Who is peeling back the darkness with the burning light of noon? Who is standing on the mountains? Who is on the earth below? Who is bigger than the heavens, and the Lover of my Soul?

That song enchants me. Every time, I cry without understanding why. Like my heart weeps with longing, and admiration, and joy and a million other emotions that only my spirit really comprehends. Who is moving on the waters?

I keep re-reading the poem I wrote last week, because it seems more and more the song of my heart. I must see the face of the man who sleeps under the sails of the raging sea... the man who moves on the waters of my heart, who stills my raging seas, who seeks out the mysteries, who is the deep calling out to the deep in me. He's hauntingly closer than I can stand, and never quite close enough. He's grounded on waves...

*while writing this "Running in Circles" by United Pursuit Band came on... for those of you who don't know, some of it's greatest lines are "So I come to tell you I love you, to tell you I need you, to tell you there's no better place than in your arms. To tell you I'm sorry for running in circles, for placing my focus on the waves, not on your face. You're the only One who brings me peace." Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

samara said...

You might like "Set Your Sails" by Future of Forestry... just a though :)