Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I look at a lot of trends and fashions today, and I think of Lynn Roberts.  I babysat for them when I was young... and she was my art teacher as long as I could possibly sign up for all her electives.  She's lovely and bold and has unparalleled style.  For instance, so much of today's furniture that's thriving and filling up homes, seem cheap replicas of the ornate pieces I always remember admiring at her home.  It was so far from my style, but I liked it. Not just that, but her color schemes and little details were simple, natural and well-defined.  It was her personal style and it was built on more than trends, it was fashioned by the history of art, design, architecture.  Just thought I'd share one of the thoughts that often pops into my head when I see photos like this one.  That armour in the corner looks just like something from the Roberts' house... I believe it was their entertainment center.  I'm really grateful for the influence Mrs. Lynn Roberts had on my teens, when I was learning what beauty meant and beginning to wonder How do you make something beautiful?  She helped give me a grid of principles by which to discover my own style and sense.  She taught me how to look at things and gave me a broader perspective to consider beyond myself and my own little journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katrina, Thank-you,for giving me a great gift in this blog entry. Linda Cline sent a link to me and I was shocked to see my name in the first sentence. In the back of our minds and deep in our hearts we wonder and hope that something we do makes a difference ( a positive difference preferably!). That someone notices, or is encouraged, or learns from either our success or even our mistakes. Thank you for taking the time to mention and to even notice or appreciate that something about my life mattered to you. Katie you are someone that consistently brings beauty into the life of others with your great enthusiasm for life. You exude, faith, hope, joy, gratefulness, wisdom and a great desire to learn- the building blocks for creating and or revealing beauty. You have always had your eyes focused on seeing the good that life has to offer and a desire to create that in your life. I am excited to see the veil between your big dreams and reality get torn away. Love Lynn

Unknown said...

Love the armour! I love pretty much any Indonesian style furniture ;-)