Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Red cups are here. My ballot is in my purse. My hamstrings are slightly sore from a good evening of exercise. And I am feeling much better (I've been feeling sick lately). Not to mention it's not even 10:30 and I solved the great printer problem (power switch: off and back on, works half the time!)


Kind of funny, but I feel like a tech genius here! Very funny if you know how much of an un-tech genius I am. I've come out of a technology company, where I was more or less the technology-village-idiot, to a law firm where people don't check their email for hours, and most communication is done by typing (and then PRINTING OUT) memos... which hurts a little bit, since I am pretty sure there is a forest that once was and is no more. Instead, all that lays there is a big paper sign that says, "Here lies the work of Linville Law Firm." In my head, as I toss away dozens of letters that were suddenly amended to no longer say "dear.." (or some other minimal detail), I like to picture this far away woodsy land, I call it "Linville Forest."

Yes, these are the places I create in my head on stressful days on the 38th floor, this little land in the sky, in this woodless world, LLF. Sometimes, this 38th floor world seems less real anyways- I often have to convince myself, "yes, this really is happening. Despite the fact that it is even odder than the contraptions of your creation. This is good stuff."

Sorry, this is my 'writing style' at an extreme... call it flowery, wordy, long-winded, or 'full of itself'... I've decided I am going to be very careful about what authors I allow my children to read when they are young... George MacDonald, CS Lewis and Shakespeare.... they've helped to form me into a very wordy little writting creature, who makes herself giggle with puns, and smile with mythical proportions to daily tales.

On that thought, you know what other downfall reading too much as a child can do... it teaches you words in context, but not how to pronounce them. The other day I said a word to my sister, and realized I really had no idea how to actually say the word.(Then I went on mumbling and repeating it, trying to figure out how to say it. That really helped me redeem myself, I'm sure of it.)

Reading, they say it makes us smarter, but I'm afraid it has just made me sound stupider. (that was intentional, leave it be. lol)

No comments: