Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On the list of "People I Need to Forgive" - you'll find Miley Cyrus as number one. I just heard a random song of her's, and suddenly had strong feelings of anger rise up in me. Where they came from? Well, I'll tell you, being as I just took a moment to ask myself that question.

When I was 16, I started watching a not-quite-2-year-old girl named Abby. I walked into the house, and her mom said, "My name is Katie, my sister's name is Kelley, and out grandmother's name was Katie Kelly. You were meant to be our babysitter." And then she hugged me. I stepped into the house, and we were friends from then on. It didn't hurt that her little sister, still in Montana was about my age, and she was a few years older than my oldest sister who was soon to move to Tennessee. I walked into the family room and met Miss Abby, not even in full command of her language yet, we played in a little tent for an hour and became fast friends. Her little brother, Will was 7 months old and quickly stole my heart. I'd rock him to sleep about 3 nights a week at the start.

That established, a few months back I was over watching the kids- a semi-rare occassion now. Abby wanted to show me her account on their Mac. She wanted to add me to her email contacts. (WHAT?) And, she wanted to show me a few of her favorite videos. Well of course she's a Miley fan, she's a child of the 2000's, she watched Hannah Montana after nap time for years. Wait, what, Party in the USA? Sure, she uses the words "tummy" and "butterfly" in the song, but she's also 18 and talking about clubbing, and wearing jeans that she probably stole from the set of Hannah Montana when she was 10! Good Lord! Yes, this is why I will someday need to forgive Miley Cyrus, a poor misguided, spoiled young girl who demanded to be a role model for young girls, and then teach them how to roll those tummies at the age of 9!

I know, I know, I'm not even a mom. But it kills me. There is such a thing as responsibility, and while we'd all like to believe we're the only one that matters, if you insist on making a living off of the public, please keep that public in mind. Abby is watching. And she's one amazing young girl who deserves a better role model, one that doesn't just act on a tv show like she has a wonderful relationship with her dad, and then decides to emancipate herself from him in real life a few years later.

Okay, Okay... clearing the list and getting over my little judgmental self. Oh Miley, you need a Savior too.

No comments: