Thursday, April 18, 2019

Something I know:  

We help each other make it. Strong ties hold us. 

There are those anomalies of people who manage to survive, thrive and move across the world on their own. But there aren't many.  

Most of us are here because of a friend, a first job, a person who didn't have to but did. And then another, who did. Someone who showed up when they said they would, followed through, extended an offer - extended their confidence. 

I've been the recipient time and time again - my first office and then marketing job was because of someone who said "If I'll trust you with my kids - I'll trust you with my phones." That grew to: "Just show me you know how to learn." And that likely set my entire career in order.  But there was also the time my sister decided I was going to work with her - and her boss offered me a job I hadn't asked for (or really understood I was being offered) - then the girl who trained me there and called to offer me the next role.  The next two jobs I got the "traditional" way - searching, applying, interviewing, accepting, working with recruiters. 2 out of 9 jobs I received that so called "traditional way" -  6 were from relationship and respect, from doing well at a previous role and proving I could be relied on to learn. The last, I created myself, my baby, Whittle. She's the quiet dream I always keep in the room. She's there for whenever that offer comes to do what I love - the moment when "helping others make it" and writing intersect. 

Build strong ties.  Help others make it. I believe those two things will benefit you more in business than anything. But I'm no tycoon - and I hope I never am. 

No comments: