Saturday, April 21, 2007


Wait a second...


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DAD!

Today is my dad's birthday. He's pretty amazing- continually forgiving, and fighting for all his girls. He's the heart of the Kelly's. He's the one who taught us girls many of our important life lessons, such as, "you hang out with yo-yo's, you gonna become a yo-yo" or on a more serious level, that a man needs his woman to support him in order for him to win....such as when Adrienne doesn't stand behind Rocky at first. He also imparted some other critical lessons to us 3 little ladies as we were growing up...like don't run or play in a skirt unless you wear shorts under. Lesson learned. I don't think I went through a day of middle school without shorts under my skirt, I'm not sure I have since, lol. What can I say? You never know when you are going to be surprised by something really fun but you can't do it in a dress....and with dad the chances of a surprise are about 10x usual. "Dad where are we going?" "You'll see." "Come on, where are we going? I need to know what to wear?" "Jeans." And thus...the Kelly girls. Jeans, a tee, and a sweater- you are set for ANY surprise with dad...most often a movie, a walk, ice cream, or a special meal (usually a place they serve good breakfast!). Now that I have my own car, I always keep a surprise kit in the back..toothbrush, jeans, sweatshirt, gum, floss, comb, and usually tennis shoes and a swimsuit- ready for anything! And I can't help but think that spirit of adventure comes from my dad...or perhaps it is better described as a need to plan (for the potential adventure).

Dad also told us, "If you are going to wrestle, go outside!" Yep. lol. Quality lesson. And "Don't run down the stairs." We all share a distaste for getting hurt for a stupid personal fault...such as running down the stairs, for that very reason. "I'm fine, no, I'm not hurt, I'm fine." Because dad couldn't STAND to see us girls get hurt, and he did not like it when we hurt ourselves....thus the no wrestling in the house.

I know Kim, Kris, and I could all tell you favorite stories of walks and dates with dad. Those are probably the only stories each of us could get through, because all the ones of us together we would be laughing and interjecting our parts. We all love our dad so much. Thats not to say we don't have our problems, and we haven't hurt him at times, or disobeyed....but thankfully my dad is one of the most loving and forgiving men I know, and he leads us all to overcome our mistakes.

Though you have probably heard us girls tease about how many times we've each seen Rocky, and begged visitors not to mention it (or we'd be watching it again), I know we all do love it, because its so closely connected to our Dad for us. I got to see Rocky Balboa with him in theaters, and my favorite line I will always remind him of, as he has always quoted Balboa to us.

"The last thing to age in a man is his heart."



Happy Birthday Dad. I love you! Thank you for your continual love and forgiveness. Thank you for never giving up or giving in...though some day I hope you will be "giving me away"...hehe.

OXX
Kati Lady

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job Kati! I'm glad you did a tribute to Dad! I felt like doing another one would be a bit redundent, since I did one for Father's Day last year, but this was great!! Too many fun memories!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll go and put this one away..... too :-) You girls are way too kind to your Old Man...

Anonymous said...

... and I only wish I still looked like that!