Monday, December 10, 2007

Thanks for the love you all- I loved the comments- and I love you all.

So a couple quick (funny) notes...and then I have got to get to studies (especially since I just napped for 3 hours!)

First, last night there was a surprise party for Misty. I drove straight there after work...I stayed in the car for a while, paranoid I would walk up right as they pulled up (since I was a little late). THEN, when I opened my door- my car alarm went off! This is the first time I've ever heard it go off- and I couldn't get it to stop. I shut the door immediately...then tried getting out a few minutes later, once it had stopped going off. And again, as soon as the door opened, off it went. I put my key in the engine, started the car and began driving away because I felt so bad for the neighbors. The siren kept going, and the headlights were flashing on and off as I drove cautiously down the street. Then I parked it, and took the key out...then put it back in and drove again. Nothing seemed to make it stop- it would just go until it was done.

After 4 times (maybe 5)- I decided I had to leave. I was so bummed. On my way home, I got an idea. As soon as I pulled into my driveway, I parked it, rolled down the window, took the key out of the ignition, and unlocked my door from the outside...when I opened the door- the alarm didn't go off. Somehow the alarm had gotten all switched around when I was leaving work.

A little while later Dustin called and he said I should come back to the party since it was just getting started...I almost did, but by this time it was the time I said I would be leaving the party to come home and study- and I REALLY needed to be studying.

Thought I would share that story though, because that was one of the funniest things I have ever had happen to me. The first couple times I opened the door, I was laughing hysterically. Then I got sad when I realized I might not be able to get it to stop, and I'd need to go home.

NEXT funny story, oh yes, there is more. This morning was my logic exam and I needed to get to campus early to buy a couple scantron (bubble sheets) for it. I caught a bus around 7, then hopped off at Starbucks to go get me some protein! (ie, an egg sandwich and a coffee to accompany it).

Having bought them, I hopped onto the next 372, and sat down in my favorite seat- one of the four raised seats (they sit up on a little platform, above the wheels). This is important to know, because about 10 minutes into the bus ride (maybe less), the driver made a classic STOP! and my coffee tipped over between my feet! falling off the front of the little platform and spilling all over the floor- rushing forward towards all the people in front of me. I had to tell them all to lookout, since it would get coffee all over their bags- so I was as quick as I could be! The man directly in front of me, who bore the brut of it, was so nice to me. I felt SO aweful. Luckily no one's things seemed to be on the floor (well...their shoes were), and the bus was also pretty empty so a couple just moved over to the other side.

It was terrible, and I only had two little starbucks napkins- not much help to a full grande mocha on the floor! I rushed up to the man in front of me and offered to help, but it was truly pitiful- two little napkins? He could tell how bad I felt, he acted like it happens every day, and I hardly believe that, but I appreciated him.

Then I just sat there on the bus, for the next 20-30 minutes. feeling quite awful, like a little kid, put on a time out to think about her actions.

When I got off the bus, I walked toward the front exit to apologize to the bus driver, I could see how the coffee had webbed over much of the front of the bus...no longer really "liquid" at least. She didn't look at me, and I thanked her for the ride. I am pretty sure once I had started to step out she said to my back, "Thanks for everything." AHHHHHHH, I felt so stinking terrible!!!

CRAZY huh? Those two very out of the ordinary things happened within like 12 hours of each other!

I ended up on campus almost an hour early, so I had time to study a bit more, buy the scantrons, and then almost 30 minutes to go...I really wanted something cold to drink. I went to the Tullys in the HUB, closed. Then, I remember theres another one in the HUB. Hardly any line, so I jumped it. I really just wanted a water bottle or a juice, but quite a few people had already stepped behind me, and I'd have to get out of line to go get one from the fridge across the store (not a real Tullys). So, I ordered an iced americano. That is, a cup, with ice, a pump of white chocolate...and then two shots. That should take about a minute to make. ! Well, after I payed and walked to the bar- I noticed no joke, 10 other people- and the baristas were not knock'n out any drinks! They said the machine was slow....I was watching, THEY were slow. I waited as long as I possibly could... 20 minutes! Then, I had to leave, my test would be starting soon, and I had not only my scantron, but Kyle's...so he wouldn't be able to start till I got there. My drink was the next on the bar....one of the two baristas, remade a hot chocolate, twice, and kept standing there, calling it out over and over. I so wanted to tell her "Put the hot chocolate down and start making our drinks!! They'll find it- it's labeled "HC", not hard to crack the code!" Furthermore, she'd written the girls name on the cup!

But I didn't. I controlled my tongue. Instead I was polite, and told them as nicely as I could that they cold toss the iced americano in the line since I had to run for a final. She apologized, and I said, I understand.

I understand you are slow. :) (I didn't really say that). You know, it's an irony you might now know. The major university, right here in our home city, Seattle, the home of coffee, actually has the worst coffee I have ever had. My English teacher and I were getting quite a kick out of this the other day. Suzallo might honestly have the worst coffee ever....kim, worse than Tennessee coffee. Some days, I get a good coffee from there, but most days, it tastes like someone used it as an ash tray- litterly, I can't shake the feeling that "cigarette" was one of the main ingredients in my morning americano. And yet, I almost daily stand the ridiculously long line, and buy myself a bagel, and an iced americano, along with TONS of other students.

For being the University of Washington, minutes from downtown Seattle, you'd think our coffee would be fantastic. But, it truly and sadly, is not. Even down on the Ave, I don't like the coffee.

Sad story.

Oh, but today, I should admit, I had one fantastic peppermint white mocha at Suzzallo Espresso. It was so unexpected, and so fully enjoyed! I came to meet my English teacher, and there was one other student there as well, Jenna. She's sweet, I'd talked to her a few times this quarter, and I knew she's a freshman here on a volleyball scholarship. I said I wasn't sure if I wanted to attempt getting another coffee or not, since I'd paid for two this morning and not been able to drink either (I was sincerely thinking God might be telling me not to). She said, "I'll buy!" Immediately! And I told her, no, I have money, I just keep not getting to drink the coffees I buy today. And she said, "no really, I'll buy. I have $400 dollars I need to spend or else it just disappears. Todd, you want a drink?" I was laughing at her. And she has a god laugh too. She bought us both a drink. That was actually a great time, and I had several hours till I needed to be at work, so I just sat while he helped her for the first hour or so, we just talked about Doctor Faustus and Christian orthodox and different arguments. Then, he helped me find a good resource for my paper, and we talked a bit more about my ideas for it.

It was good day- oh, the logic final- I actually finished it! Like, I was able to read and answer every question- BEFORE time ran out!!!! I think that alone made me feel great, and I think I also did well on it, I feel very good about it.

Now, on to my paper. I have an online test to take tomorrow- then I need to crank out this rough draft, and study for my archaeology test which is wednesday morning...then it's on to peer reviews for the paper, and I final version...then, Friday, I AM DONE!


love ya.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my word, I'm stressed just thinking about the ordeals you went through! The car alarm thing is funny though. I'm sure it wasn't too funny at the time, but it sure was funny to read. Reminds when I had the Mercedes towed and the car alarm kept going off on the toe truck along the freeway. I was so embarressed, so we followed it as close as we could behind with my arm flailing out the window turning the alarm off with the remote every other minute. Funny now, but not at the time! Wow such coffee frustrations and yet you persisted till you finally got one, quite impressive. There is one awesome coffee stand out here in the Cool Springs Mall - so yummy. Kris asked if we could get coffee every morning, she is going to be sorely disappointed. There's a couple nearby places I'll take her, but I know they won't meet her standards. My sisters are such coffee snobs -KIDDING! Me love you long time!!