Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm an avid reader of a few blogs, not many. One is my sister Kim's "I Smell Books." As I've mentioned before, she is tearing through books in a way I admire, and slightly fear. However, opening her blog today, I found she too has been stunted in her reading by the changing of the seasons.

This inspired my next confession of a tale.

Last night at homegroup, a friend brought up Thanksgiving break and how we need to do something. I gave a shy look, and they picked up on it. I was hoping they wouldn't ask, but they did.

What?

I replied sincerely, I was just thinking the other day how I really want to start my new book, but that I will probably have to wait for Thanksgiving break, and then I realized that all my friends will be on break then too, as will my family, and everyone will want to make fun plans for those days. I just want to sit at home, and finally enjoy all the reading I've been looking forward to. I bought a new book 3 weeks ago- and it has been sitting patiently on my shelf!! I however, have not been so patient in my head.

"Are you serious right now?" was the reply that came from two of the three people at the table with me. The third person was Elise, and she just shook her head and laughed.

Oh, I don't know how I have any friends at all, but boy am I grateful for them! lol. Even when they decide to leave me 19 voicemails, and 14 texts, and tons of missed calls all at once when I clearly don't have my phone. Oh yes, that is what I came home to last night after homegroup. I'd left my cell in my room, and as I drove away down the street I realized it and contemplated going back- but it would mean being late and I really wanted to be on time for the phone bank we were doing. So, I didn't. And when you leave your phone, you are always paranoid you will come home and discover everyone's been trying to reach you. Well, that paranoia was true yesterday evening. Kind of. A number of my friends were together, and they'd somehow got the brilliant idea to each leave me the exact same loooong detailed message with the adaption of "by the way, this is ______(their name)" at the end of the voicemails and text messages. They were funny. Except the second round of voicemails where they told me they weren't waiting any longer- "Kati, we're done waiting. We're starting the movie. We've busted into the ice cream and brownies. The Swedish fish are gone. We've opened the reeses peanut butter cups. you are mising the party. By the way, this is _______" Yes, those ones made me a little sad to have missed the party.

But oh well, I'd had a great evening, free from my phone, over at Jeff and Elise's visiting after homegroup. And what's funny, is I was talking about our generation and how bound we are to our phones, and how we expect that if we text or call someone, they should reply immediately. Oh, the prophetess I sometimes am. lol.

Still, I have great friends, and I am so lucky. Thank you for putting up with my affection for my books, and for leaving me 19 voicemails, and 14 texts, and for all the missed calls. I heart you guys.

Oh, By the way, this is kati. ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww..very cute post Kati. Yeah I hope to pick up on a lot more reading this weekend and I'm very much looking forward to it since the weather is nice and cool :-) Maybe even go on a walk with Jason. He has to work all weekend, so I will have lots of time. Plus, there's a library nearby that's having a book sale. My oh my, what to do, what to do. OH and I decided not to do it this year, but the book blogging community is having a 24-HR Read-A-Thon where people are raising money for thier fav charity. I just might have to do this next year :-) LOVE YOU MEAN IT!

Morgan said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.....

After thinking about it longer we wanted to do it in more of a progression like "hey, we are waiting for you to start the movie..." and then "hey we are thinking about starting the movie now" and then finall "we are definitely starting the movie now!!!" lol. So great.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I was just complaining the other day about how I spend all of my lunch breaks with people now... and sometimes I wish I could sneak away to read a book :)