Monday, February 04, 2008

I'm in Economics, you know, my favorite class.

Our last discussion topic was an economical look at Roe v. Wade. Here's our bullet points:

After abortion was legalized it declined from $4,000 - $5,000 (if performed by a doctor or $1000 if by an unlicensed abortionist in unsanitary, dangerous conditions) to $500.
-risk of abortion related complications and even deaths decreased a couple hundred times!
-as abortion costs fall, women may modify their behavior by lowering the intensity of pregnancy prevention, increasing sexual activity, or some combination of these two.
-summed up, more women are getting pregnant because it's less costly.

- Soviet Union- Abortions were legal, but there were no forms of birth control, so abortions were used as the only form of "birth control" Some women would have 8-10 abortions through their lifetime.

-Steven Levitt, the University of Chicago economist and author of the smash-hit book "Freakonomics" even argues that declining crime rates in the ate 90's can be partially attributed to the legalization of abortion, because the children who are 'unwanted' are the ones most likely to become criminals, and now due to the legalization of abortion and consequential lowered cost, these "unwanted" children (excuse me, fetus') can be terminated.


Upsetting?

Sorry, you probably weren't coming to my blog to read something unsettling, or upsetting.

It's been cutting up my mind all week. I heard a statistic on the radio Friday night, "1 of every 3 women in the US will be pregnant at least once before they turn 20"

I'm 21. I haven't been pregnant, that means there are 2 other girls, one has been. I want to know the statistics of how many of those 1 in 3, terminate their pregnancy. I of course don't want to know, don't want to have to think about that every time I see a beautiful safe belly. But I DO want to change it, and I figure in order to do that, I will need to know the statistic. I'm willing to be unsettled. I'm willing to be upset.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some of your bullet points were confusing...you said declined in price from $4,000 to $5,000 - isn't that an increase in price? Confused. Sorry.

Love you!
Kimmers

Anonymous said...

Hey I have a quick book you can look at from bound4life. It has some really horrible statistics if you want to know the nitty gritty...

Courtney