Thursday, November 06, 2008

Wow, a call for an update!

Okay, here is the DL. ;)

This week has been BIS-Z...crazy, sad, and at times fun! Let's start with Monday's breakdown.

Monday, I got back my first midterm, and hallelujah I praised Him! (said with soul please). I'd studied hard- really hard- but when the test got passed out, I didn't understand how it had anything to do with what he'd told us to study. I sincerely would have studied better I think if he'd told us nothing and we were left to guess. But, I did my best. I chose 3 essay questions (we chose 3 out of the 5), and answered to the best of my remembrance from class discussions and my notes (which I had made a point to re-read through, even though its NOT what he told us to do), then, I looked for every opportunity to make use of what he HAD told us to study, the "useful terms." I turned it in, noticing I'd written fairly less than most-- AND that I was turning it in before at least a third of the class. This worried me, I NEVER turn my tests in earlier than others. I'm the girl sitting in her seat, scribbling furiously while her teacher watched the second hand wind till the :30 mark, when break is up and the new students have to be in their seats.

Regardless, I got it back, and had got 9/9!!! Hal-le-lu-jah!

I'd also had my first opening shift at Starbucks- very exciting!

My training was done wrong I found out, lol.

I opened again on Tuesday, when my training was done wrong AGAIN, I found out. :)

I went from there to my other job, where I experienced my first real "layoff" atmosphere. It was strange, everyone was sad, but also relieved that they still had a job after Monday's surprise. I'd been receiving emails over the course of Monday afternoon and began to paste together what had happened.

The good side is I still have my job, and in fact, I am enjoying it more than I have in a long time. Today I have been incredibly busy writing. Yes-writing! I am being passed a number of different projects, and I already have learned my new manager is a "lets get it done now" person, which I like. She is up front and honest and trusts me to do my job....which is still being redefined.

I feel more "capable" to do my job, no need to edit after edit after edit, and never seeing what the final draft looks like anyway, and no more of no one even knowing I wrote it.

Tuesday night was play practice. Yes, for anyone who might not know, I am going to be in the Christmas play. I am being so stretched by it. Tuesday night, having to make the choice in myself before to just get over myself, I found myself enjoying it (though still, very stretched and uncomfortable! lol). I'm grateful that God see's what we need, and what we'll love, and He is faithful to lead us into those risks.

So Tuesday, was a looooong day.

Wednesday...school again. We are beginning work shop for our short stories, and I am getting excited (and nervous since I have 3 pages of what needs to be a 10-20 page story). We went home with our first 8 peers' stories to begin reading, reviewing and responding to.

Thursday, today, has been a blast. I got to open with Morgan this morning at Starbucks, and I definitely loved it. She trained me, and guess what, I wasn't trained wrong (or at least not that I know of yet, ey Morgs?). I got to work on the bar, which was good since it kept us both awake.

Now, I'm at my other job and realizing, I like my job again. I feel stretched, and challenged, and capable.

I also feel a little sleepy. :) Nap?

Tomorrow is my work-from-home day and I know I will enjoy it. I also get to have coffee with Bianca in the am, and hang out with Morgan Marie in the afternoon! :)

I have another thought, but I will have to share it later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what an insane week! and you're working at starbucks now!? woot! red cups!
i love you so much and can't wait for tomorrow!
~morgan marie

Anonymous said...

ps- i LOVE the new background. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Reading your blog reminds me of having sleepovers where you would read to me as I fell asleep. I miss that btw.

We should have a sleepover over thanksgiving break... ;) hehe

Toni

Katrina Hope said...

Toni- Yes! Yes! and Yes! Miss you tons!!