Thursday, May 08, 2008

Yesterday I had a doctors appointment and so I'd preparations to work from home.

9:30, I walk into doctor curtis's office.

Good morning.

Good morning, I'm here to see Dr. Curtis.

What's your last name.

Kelly (at this point people ALWAYS assume I am stupid and gave them my FIRST name). Last name, Kelly. First name, Katrina.

Huh? Kelly?

....ruffling and looking...

...lights going on in my head. My appointment is on Wednesday, May 14th, 9:30am. today is NOT the 14th.

yep, way to go Kati, lol.

They had a cancellation for a couple hours later and it all worked out....but I felt like a doophus, lol.

Because I had this doctors appointment (or so I thought), and I was working from home, I had the flexibility to run a number of errands. I needed to mail off a couple things, and as I waited in line at the post office with a smile, I realized just how much I LOVE going to the post office. No one would no this about me. Many of you know I LOVE to send things in the mail- letters, gifts, candy wrappers... but you wouldn't realize that I truly love the feeling of standing in line at the post office, talking with the man behind the counter, picking out new stamps, writing someone's address on a box. I LOVE IT! I love going to the post office!

I also had time to go make copies of some keys I've had sitting in my room for this purpose. As I looked for a parkign spot at Lowes (Or L-O-W-E-L-S, heeehee), I was shocked by how many handicapped spots there are....and I was further shocked that they were nearly ALL full. HUH.

I found a spot, parked, and walked across the lot, purse in hand. This is when I know I am becoming more and more like my mom.....I felt a certain joy. The last few times I have gone into Lowes, or Home Depot, I've INHALED the smell of wood and soil like it were my long-lost home! I've even wanted to wander up and down the aisles.....OH MY GOODNESS! I love these stores, and apparently I am healing from the torturous, never-ending trips of my childhood with mom (you see my back yard, and the THOUSANDS of 'antique' colored bricks that line all the gardens around the house- well, guess who transported all of those- yep, kris and I with mom!)

This was back when it was "Eagle" of course, and even driving within a block of the store would set off my mom's alarm, her hands would start flashing like little lights, and she'd begin announcing our soon-to-be-destination. "I just want to run in for a second", but we knew better. Hours, and hours..... and a van full of flowers, and bricks later (which we knew would employ the rest of our summer afternoon moving them from the van to the yard and even perhaps planting).

Not only this, but my mom will build just about anything she gets an idea for (or she will get it built). I know this is another quality I have inherited from my mom- this "let's do it RIGHT NOW- I'll go get the hammer!" approach to life. lol. My dad likes to plan...I got some of that too- now are you starting to understand why decisions can really mess me up? lol.

I have found it pretty great in the last years getting to do "projects" with my mom. As I'm getting older I am coming up with more of my own projects, and then getting to go to my mom for help with them.

Anyone who has seen my yard, especially at spring or summer, has witnessed the amazing beauty from my mom's hands! I'll have to put up pictures of when we first bought our house- there literally was NOT anything but dead grass and weeds- mostly just hard dirt.

Wow, this wasn't all planned as my blog, but it seems rather timely, since Mother's Day is only a few days away :)


I have a half an hour till my next class, and I better go grab some lunch or I'll be "starving" by 4:30 when I get another chance to eat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! like reading this has been one of the highlights of my day! i love how you get so excited about the smallest things!
love you so much and see you tomorrow morning!
morgan

Unknown said...

I remember the sight of "Eagle-s" would put a big pit in my stomach. Uh oh, here it comes, the detour - the HOURS of wandering the store, staring at the flowers, the dirt. Gardening has never been my thing, thankfully Jason has taken a lot of pride in working in the yard. As much as I enjoy a pretty yard, its also the very same place that spiders, snakes, worms, bugs, bees and all things creepy and crawly live - which is the last place I want to be. Do you remember when mom would collect "sam the snake"'s dead skin and I'd keep it in a jar? Weird I know.

Katrina Hope said...

Oh my gosh! I remember that, back at Edmonds!