Saturday, March 07, 2009


I really like Australia, meaning the film.

I saw it in the summer with friends, 3 friends who definitely disliked it. In fact, I believe they laughed at me when they looked over and saw how into it I was. After several pleas to leave, I gave in. (In fact, I would have stayed, but we'd left their cars further away and all driven over in mine). The reasons for leaving...the plot does sincerely seem resolved before the 2 hour point...and then a new plot appears to begin at this point. We'd seen a 10-something showing, it was past midnight, and their expectations weren't being met. We had no idea how much longer this film was going...

However, I wanted terribly to see the final (20) minutes of it and later heard repeatedly how wonderful they were. Tonight, my family watched it. I cried. Not only did I cry, but I enjoyed the entire film more this time, noticing a great deal of small details and recognizing points the plot hadn't fully explored by the 2 hour point. THIS is why the 'second plot' is needed.

The final 20 minutes are worth the extra time, definitely.

I have to admit, I am already a fan of Baz Luhrmann. I grew up watching "Strictly Ballroom" and love his other films as well. I'd been looking forward to his "upcoming film" for close to a year. So when I sat in the theatre, I wasn't just thinking about the plot and the sometimes slightly cheesy feeling lines...I was relishing the shots that scanned out across the Australian outback, and the brilliant (almost quirky) scene changes. I was loving the colors and vibrant world we were put in. I even liked the character of Nalla as a story-teller (a point of criticism). I also LOVE the time period surrounding WW2. AND Nicole Kidman is a favorite.

So all that said, if you are willing to enjoy all the detail and beauty and wont be bothered by a longer film, that isn't entirely obsessed with entertaining you with on-the-edge-of-your-seat drama (though there are some exciting moments as well)...you should pick up the film.

No comments: