Saturday, June 26, 2010


I have never considered myself much of a cat person... but. My last visit to Tennessee, Banks (Kim's diva cat) began to warm me up, as after many years in our friendship, she had finally decided she would seek affection. Apparently, with two big labs in the home, the once queen of the castle was feeling a bit infringed upon and had determined to cuddle, as a cat should.

Next up, the short-lived, but much loved Unger kittens absolutely stole my heart. I loved the scripture, yes. I loved supporting my good friends Braden & Joel, yes. I loved the delicious scones, yes. But mostly, I came to Monday Night Bible Study to hold the kittens, Bronte and Indie. Phew, the truth is finally out.

I consider this all to have some positive aspect, in that it demonstrates me overcoming the once frightful creatures. My early experiences with cats was a love-hate. I loved the soft little kittens at my aunt and uncles. I hated their cats- who also hated me. One particular one had it out for me- I kid you not, the thing had singled me out as the weakest link (for sure the youngest), and would lie in wait to attack my legs and feet whenever I walked by. Kris can recount how I would climb on top of the pool table- walk across it, to jump to the couch, to table to chair- all to avoid that cat's attacks. Banks was about the same when Kim lived here. I remember a distinct night where I got up in the middle of the night, walked out of Kim's room, and suddenly there was a cat, dangling from my thigh! If I left a foot or arm over the edge of a chair- attacked. Cats. :/

And now, I've met Jack. This mischievous, soft little creature is so adorable- if only I could get him to stay in my suitcase, I might be stowing a kitten away in my room. I love little tabby cats- not sure why. He's so sweet, and his little green eyes just get me.

So you see, I've never considered myself a cat person- but I fear these little soft, trouble-making creatures may have actually turned me into one without my ever knowing it.

I'm a little concerned.

4 bridesmaid dresses in the closet, a 5th to be added shortly... and a newly recognized love - no affection - for cats. Add this to my undeniable book-addiction and I'm well on my way to trouble.

3 comments:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Haha! I adore you. Yay kitties.

Katrina Hope said...

Elsa, please don't ever let me become a 'cat-lady' :-0

Kathryn said...

You can come play with my cat baloo anytime. And he's completely harmless I promise :)