Monday, December 31, 2012

A new year always marks a new age for me.  In 5 days, I will be 26. Remember that list I so ambitiously wrote last year?  I began it in September of 2011 in fact.  What was I going to accomplish and experience in my 25th year of life?  The list I mostly tossed out a couple months ago.  Yeah, that list.  I don't believe I ever posted it in entirety for you all.  Well, here it is.  I have 5 days left and I'm wondering how many I could get done before 26 hits me.  At this point, it's like a fun, frantic game.

25 Goals For 25

Go on a date. 
Read 25 books (5 from the Guardian's list)  So far, I've read 13 books.  Next year, I'll account for Beau in my reading goals. 
Buy a camera (Nikon D5100)   John has one... I suddenly had less drive to buy one. 
Pay off the Toddler
Submit a story  
Submit a poem 
Read more current authors
Run a half-marathon  Ha.  Ran a 5K and then fell into the worst shape of my life. I did run the entire 6 blocks to the bus stop this morning.  That count?  Because boy was my chest burning. 
Learn a real piece on the violin  Haven't played since I moved.  :( 
Start a 401K  
Learn 100 Italian verbs + 100 nouns
Move out
Visit a new city
Talk less (listen more)  I still have 5 days to get this one, right? ;) 
Go camping
Visit the Olympic National Park  
Go sailing 
Write one short story a week  I should have 52 stories?  I have 1 unfinished short story from this year. 
Prepare for the day before leaving the house  I think I have done pretty well at this the majority of the year.  And better the last couple months. 
Read through the New Testament  I spent most of the year in the Gospels.  
Get my concealed weapons permit
Ride in a hot air balloon  Dad? 
Learn to golf
Create my website/ online portfolio  Kind of... 
Ride in a train


I began setting 4 year goals a couple months back.  I will be 30 in 4 years and 5 days! (Weird.)  And I think I am going to set quarterly goals for 26.  I have 4 'to-dos' for the first quarter so far.  I think I'll aim for 5 per quarter.  :)  Besides that, this year will be less about "lists" and more about "priorities".  I have been spending the last few days thinking about my current priorities and how they should change or stay the same for this coming year.  I don't yet know... I'm still praying.  But my to-dos for this first quarter reflect my priorities as best I see them so far.

It's hard to plan for a year.  One person could walk in and change it all... and you could be forever grateful.  I'd aimed to go on a date in 2012.  A real date. I did in January. We played trivia at an Irish pub.  There were no sparks.  It was okay.  I marked it off the list.  And then, I was taken on one of the most wonderful dates... without realizing it at the time.  The rest, I hadn't put on my goals list.  But when it came to it, I'd rather listen to his story than read any of my books on the shelf.  

3 comments:

Ashley said...

So awesome! Love this! You are inspiring. :)

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree, my little one.. that last line was a "killer line".. It will come "In His Time"... ALL OF IT ;-)

Linda said...

This is priceless. You could definitely be our daughter with all this intentional goal setting! Boy would that bless my stewardship oriented husband! I would submit that life is a balance of goal setting and 'alert expectancy' [I am sure you are so surprised I said that!] so that God can interrupt you. After all Jesus did most of His great things through being interrupted [at least from our perspective]. Your last sentence is a good tag line for your goal setting / priority writing for 2013. I absolutely love who you are! For the record, I think that this blog has to count somewhere in your short story/writing goals! Happy Birthday and Happiest of New Years xoxo!!