Monday, September 07, 2009

Baking With Todd & Kati

Well, Todd (aka, "My twin") and I share quite an affection for all things baked. And since a few months back when we both discovered I can make some killer cupcakes, we've been talking about trying our hand at some red velvet cupcakes. For those of you who have never had red velvet, please stop reading, get up and locate the nearest cupcake shop. They will help you. I first had it a few summers ago in Tennessee, and I fell in love. One of Kim's coworkers makes some pretty darn good red velvet cake. When red velvet cupcakes showed up in Starbucks last February, it was trouble. I think I averaged one a day...they were really good. Then, our addiction got worse. We started frequenting cupcake shops and testing their red velvet (remember this Kaylee? lol).

Last night we decided to try. We located a recipe on "All Recipes" that looked doable for us and had a 4.5 rating (out of 5). It had a couple surprise ingredients... like white distilled vinegar. A suggestion below the recipe claimed that if we made a couple substitutes they'd be deliciously moist and less bland. We did, of course. To top them off I made the cream cheese frosting recipe my sister Kim passed along to me. Waiting for them to cool enough to frost felt like forever....but once we tasted them... we couldn't quite contain our excitement- they were good!! We had actually done it!!

We proceeded to worship as we ate our little bites of heaven...and then take many more pictures of us celebrating (of course).


We then went downstairs and watched as mom, dad and Kris bit into theirs. They liked them too, though their "ohhing and awwing and yumming" were more sarcastic I think then sincere....unlike Todd's and mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yummy! Ship me one! :-) Interesting on the vinegar ingredient! I made lemon bars this weekend for the Labor Day party we went to and they were a HUGE hit! I got the recipe from Epicurious who requested from the owner of the 60th St. Bakery in Seattle. I remember those being the best lemon bars I had ever had and the ones I made turned out fabulous!! The pan was pretty much gone by the end of the evening :-) Boy do I love to bake!