Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I left out a critical part of my "family" revelation from Sunday morning. I actually said "This is why God wanted a family" after another piece of understanding came to me...

I only understand this as a sister, friend, and daughter, but I am sure it is intensified in the affections of a wife and mother. When I see someone love one of my loved ones, I love that person (more). Meaning, when my friends love my sisters, I love that friend even more. When Rosemary or Elise talk about how great my dad is, and they treat him like a dad in their life, my heart is all the closer to theirs.

I recently met a friend, of one of my friends from work. The first couple times I hung out with them together, I realized that this friend of my friend, was good to her. She cared for her sincerely, and looked after her, and lvoed her with a pure love...a Godly love in fact. And suddenly, I loved this new friend to, because of her love for someone I love. (confused? I hope not.)

There's more though. I've realized this is magnified when it comes to God. Almost two years ago now, I was driving to my dearest friend Rosie's house (I don't think she'll mind me telling this story--- it may embarass her though) when I had a divine encounter. She was hurting, but I knew the Lord was coming to really mend her heart in an unprecedented way. I'd been waiting all evening for her call, and when it came, I flew out the door...as I drove, I started praying in tongues and it turned into a song. And then I just started to really sing over her and to her (alone in my car...). And something came over me like I have only felt 3 or 4 times. I started to bawl as I felt like I touched a piece of Father's love for her- a passion and intensity that I'd never even felt from Him toward me. The words coming out of my own mouth were wrecking me. By the time I reacher her door, I couldn't even contain the love. I'd felt a piece of what Father felt for His Rosemary Grace and it wasn't almost enough to destroy me.

It changed a lot of things. It changed the way I dared to talk to her, treat her, the level of grace I had for her. And, it made me love her so much more even. But, it also made me love God unbelievably more. I cared about Rosie deeply, and when I discovered how much He cared about her, and how He took better care of her then I ever could, my heart was joined deeper to His.

THIS is why God wanted a family- love mulitiplies in a family. I love Kim more for her love for Kris, and vice versa. It touches my dad's heart when I really express love to my mom...and speak highly of her. This is His intention...

The larger the community, the greater possible expression of love. Love multiplies.

There are those who I have very little relationship with, but the witness of their love for my loved ones has built a bridge already, and I look forward to crossing each of those someday. This is also the power of speaking highly of one another- of dwelling and speaking about that which is beautiful, lovely, pure, true, admirable (etc)--- it multiplies it.

I have never been a "Bigger is better" person (EVER), but this Sunday, I was...and am. I can make more room for people in my close circles, because I see that is the heart of God. Grow love....and love grows communities. If we aren't finding that with bible study, phew.

Everything I have said above is true of our Monday night bible study. Other's love for the Word of God has made me love them more. And the Word of God is living...its a person, Jesus is the Word, right? Its one of the most unique expressions I have seen of love and community- a somewhat random misfit group of us young people started coming to Braden & Joel's bible study. We weren't really close friends. But what we tasted from the begining, we wouldn't let go of, and we became a sort of community, building relationship on the basis of the word truly transforming us and our daily lives. Now, a year later, we are not 6, but 20-something. :/

So, you can see how this revelation of God's heart for a family has become real to me at the perfect moment. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow great revelation, and I totally get it. :-) Love you!