Monday, November 21, 2011

There are some days that just feel like very "Seattleish" days. Today was one of them. And while others might say that in a negative way, I mean it in the best way. It was rainy. It was cold. And I loved wandering down to Pioneer Square, past the the old buildings, jumping over puddles and ducking under coverings. Passing the busy Seattle people. The crazy Seattle people. The lonely Seattle people. Thinking how much I have to be grateful for. For the job I'm taking a lunch break from. For the friend I'm on my way to meet. She picked an Italian restaurant I realized later I'd walked past dozens of times, always late when it was closed. I'd wanted to go in someday. We were the only ones there, and the old Italian man who waited on us, cooked our food (I believe), teased us and overall delighted us was also the owner of the restaurant and another down the street. He was so Italian you could still smell Florence on him it seemed! I loved it!! My food was delicious. When my friend asked if something came with a red sauce he teased her mercilessly "Is it red? Are you a child? It's MARINARA sauce, or Alfredo sauce or..." He rattled off a handful more. He was all the things a waiter would be told not to do. And he was charming for it, because his beard was thick and white, and his accent was even thicker. We loved him. And after all the adventures of the day, I found my first Seattle Met magazine waiting at my door! I've been waiting anxiously for my first one to arrive and it came as the final touch to this wonderful "Seattle" day.

3 comments:

ARob said...

If you haven't been to "al boccalino" it is definitely worth the trip. The owner is incredibly entertaining and will literally cook you anything that you ask him to.

Katrina Hope said...

LOL! That's where we ate! I loved it.

ARob said...

I know silly. I was leaving that comment for any of your readers...