Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My thoughts this morning have been a constant dialogue with Collins.  I just keep telling her, "You better make this count, Collins.  Please make this count."  And yet, I'm approaching book three with a dread, as many people have now warned me... and I've yet to hear one person say "Aw, the end is so good!" Or, "Just wait 'til you get to the end!"  Nope.  It's like we're all on a long death march together, but we can't pull ourselves out.  So, instead I keep encouraging, or rather threatening Collins, make it count. 

Truly, I can't say enough, what she's accomplished up until this point is amazing.  And I just don't want her to let it suddenly simmer out in the end, never actualizing on all she's made the readers invest.  Never pulling us all through into something. When I think of 'teen fiction' and the topics and issues that saturate it, I want to hug Collins.  She's managed to create a compelling read for teens and adults that forces major issues and crisis that we never encounter.  She's drawing on the past, the future.  What's been and could be again, wrong as it is.  And she's drawing on those few with courage, or stubbornness, to fight.

You better make it count, Collins.  

No comments: