Friday, December 30, 2011

I read somewhere recently that you shouldn't make new years resolutions, because if you want to do them you should already have begun.  But I disagree.  Any runner knows that you have to wait for the shotgun to go off.  You need a starting line, a mark, bearings.  Besides, there's nothing like the feeling of your heart racing, feet braced to charge, or set in your blocks, waiting for the whistle to blow, or for a curtain to rise.  Every game I've ever played, my stomach has filled with butterflies as I take the field.  My legs tingle.  My face a mix between a smile and a stare.  I'm ready.  I'm waiting.  I'm happy and nervous and about to win or completely spend myself on that field trying.  One of the best parts of a game is the minute right before the first whistle blows.  At least, that's how it is for starters. ;)  Those sitting on the bench might not know how good the field feels when you know your opponent is watching your face, sizing you up, and you know they don't have a clue what's coming.  You might even let them think you're weak, unready, an easy defeat.  You're already playing because games are won first in your mind, second in your training, and last in the 90 minutes on the field.  (yep sorry, lost all ambiguity and fell into soccer.)

I'm starting to get those pre-game jitters.  The sort where I don't want anyone to talk to me.  When my face becomes that puzzle, the only time in my life it's not telling exactly what's going on inside.  Somehow, then, it's nothing showing but resolve.  :) 

So I'm all about resolutions, about writing lines and giving myself start marks, because I know the wait really is what sets us apart.  The wait can beat a person before they ever even get in the game.  It's those moments before the curtain rises when you're standing on a dark stage doing your best to remember your first line, and not show the thousand thoughts in your head.  It's when I think to myself "OH my God, why am I doing this?!" And then, I make the decision.  I'm here.  There's nowhere else to go but through. :)  And I'm going to enjoy it.

I guess what that writer was trying to say is, new years resolutions won't work if they're just last-shot attempts at being something you don't have the drive to become.   You don't win a game if you don't warm up.  You just end up with a pulled groin, limping off a field and a little embarrassed.  ; )  But just because you were taking shots before the whistle blows, doesn't mean they count.  Nope. Nope.  Now can we get to 25 so I can start counting my books toward my darn next annual goal!?  (Yeah, that's totally all this was about.)

1 comment:

Kimberlee Rankin said...

Love this and so true...thx and miss you tonight :)