Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Last night was one wet, cold night. I'd grabbed the hood that buttons on to the coat I was wearing...only to realize later that one of the two buttons on my coat had been popped off. I usually keep a rain jacket bundled up tightly in my backpack- but I'd taken it out last wednesday and not put it back yet. So, I was in the rain. I had dressed very warmly, but I hadn't prepared for the rain...or more appropriately, hail. It was like freezing snow. I first realized this when I went to brush something out of my hair and panicked- I thought there were bugs in my hair or something. I started to laugh as I realized it was hail.
It was coming down hard as I walked from my first to second class, and the ground was flooded already. Luckily I didn't have far to go. After this class, I thought I'd stay in the building and just wait the couple hours till my next class, only a couple blocks away. But, I had to go buy a book. I had to. My economics class has its first quiz wednesday (tomorrow now), and I need the book to figure out what exactly he's been talking about- I've been lost most of our class times. So I walked all the way across campus, and down the Ave to the University Book Store- it was probably a 15-20 minute walk. I was soaking wet! And then, I had to walk back, with my full backpack, and two heavy bags of books in my hands (because the textbook I'd intended to return- I did not have my receipt on me after all and couldn't!). I was soaking wet, and kind of enjoying it.
I made myself laugh as I realized how much the romantic side of me liked that it was dark and beautiful outside, that the hail made it more dramatic to see falling near the streetlights. I liked the flooded brick walkways, because they shined beautifully. My feet we cold, my hands were numb, my jeans were sticking to me and coated with ice/snow, my hair was dripping wet and had fallen across my face...and I was thinking? So, were is he? as I laughed. You know what I'm talking about, the classic scene, where the man chases her down and they kiss in the rain- the dramatic ending, the climax we've all been waiting for and we hold our breaths the few, long seconds right before. Yes...I was laughing as I walked in the freezing rain, heavy bags in both hands, and my wet hair tangling in ringlets. And I smiled for the future.

The famous Breakfast at Tiffany's kiss, Sweet Home Alabama, The Notebook, Cinderella Story, even Spiderman (hate that kiss, yuk! makes me scwerm), I guess Daredevil, Pride & Prejudice where you want them so badly too! Just in case you didn't know what i was talking about...it's the classic romantic finale.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute blog Kati - loved reading it! But you should know by now, he's in Tennessee!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel Sarah said...

You're a riot. You're never without your camera, are you?

Katrina Hope said...

I used my phone...I have a camera phone and thats where a lot of my pictures come from...thus the terrible lighting and fuzzy pixels. :)

I actually just got a digital camera for christmas, so you should be seeing better quality pictures in the future (and more) :)

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to just loving to jump in mud puddles and stand in the rain with your sister? Why must you kiss boys?
Kristin