Thursday, January 06, 2011

24. The point of past my plans.

By 23, I wanted to be married. It was just the number I'd long had in my mind. I'd also come to think I'd be in grad school. I am neither. And I am 24. This is not terrible news. What it is, is the year I haven't planned for. I have been considering erasing my new years 'goals' altogether. While I think I have decided against that, what I have determined is to be very careful not to set a bunch of goals for this coming year. And to hold what plans I do make, loosely. This is the year of the unknown. Of His plans. Of adventure. It is exciting to be taking those first couple steps into the year I know the least ever of what to expect in. (sorry to end with a preposition.) Up until now, I knew at least that I'd be in high school/ Masters Commission/ college. Now...?

I'm just excited to see what He brings- and I'm putting none of my own expectations into the mix- beyond Him doing something great. I'm starting the year by reading Lord of the Rings, and now last night saw The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I just keep sensing that adventure is going to be more than a catch phrase in 2011.

Adventures require everything, so I don't want to boggle myself down with scattered goals and lists (as much as I love both!!). As much as it pains me to hear everyone toss epic around as a synonym for memorable, I almost think this year will be epic.

And I say that considering all of it's guidelines.

3 comments:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

I love that: year of the unknown & unplanned (but without a doubt) adventure. His plans. His adventure. I'm with you lady. :)

samara said...

I so appreciate this! Every bit of it. I've also been sensing "adventure" everywhere I turn... and a lot of those adventures translate into "unknowns." (and I agree about "epic" being thrown around too much ;)

So glad you finally got to see Dawn Treader :)

Cami said...

Amen Kati! I know how you feel and I can totally relate! :) And yes, this is the year of adventure for you! Pastor Norm even announced at the Vision Banquet, "2011 is the year of adventure!" I'm believing it for myself too! :)