Monday, April 25, 2011



Another wonderful weekend. Family, friends, nature, the city, concerts, coffee, food, drinks! A busy weekend, but a wonderful one.

Kristin and I worked late on Friday. It was nearly six, the office had been cleared out for hours and she finally walked up to my desk and said, "Sister. This is ridiculous. We are leaving." Being the little sister I am, I said something witty like, "Okay."

We drove over to Capital Hill and wandered until we found a spot in the sun. Barrio. She likes Mexican food, I like Capital Hill... it worked out. We sat and enjoyed some very clever drinks (I hate it when you taste the other person's and realize they made a way better selection than you), soaked up the sunshine like a couple of ex-convicts and chatted. (I also added another set of doors to my collection- aren't those cool?)



I spent the remainder of my evening brushing up my CV and submitting it for a job I spotted on craigslist that would allow me to pretty much live the life I love, and call it work. I'm becoming more intentional in seeking out opportunities to truly do what I love and feel called to do, write.

Friday night Kristin sent me an "out text." She was giving me an opportunity to bail on our morning plans as she realized how tired I was going to be by the end of Saturday. I replied, "Pick you up at 5:30a." Neither of us are good at quitting. At 7:10am, we began our climb up Mount Si. We were 4 shots of espresso for the better and a few hours of sleep. The sun was lighting up a gorgeous blue sky and we were feeling, sore! (Thank you soccer!)


We made it up 3.5 miles and then finally determined we had to stop. The snow was still too much, and it was hard packed and icy. We just weren't going to make it. We'd already been trekking through it (very slowly) and sliding all over for a quarter of a mile. What made it worse is Kristin's wrists are still injured from when I decided we should longboard down a hill last weekend (or the weekend before?)... so she'd slide, and go to grab a tree and hurt herself all the more. Kind of funny, normally. Except that our parents yelled at me for her fall (like I'd pushed her!?) and I kept imagining the trouble I'd get in if I brought her home injured again.
The last time, I'd walked down stairs and Kristin goes "I through you under the bus. Sorry." I think her explanation to my parents had started something like "Little sister made me do it..." Awesome. This time, if she fell down that mountain, I was going too. Ain't no way I was going to stride in the door looking fine, with her limping behind. Oh no. So, instead, I'd been stressing, walking behind her, praying she doesn't slip or pass out for some reason, or get charged by a bear or mountain lion or small wandering puppy. We reached the bottom, safely, but without having seen the view from the top. We will be back soon.

We returned to her place, took a short nap (short!), I showered, changed, ran to Maltby, chopped the hair (Oh yeah, it's gone!) and headed off to the next grand adventure.

I'd been looking forward to the 23rd for weeks and weeks. Rose's 30th birthday was coming up and when I heard Mindy Smith would be at the Triple Door, I snagged a couple tickets. I found a way to nonchalantly reserve that evening on her calendar for a birthday surprise... and yesterday at 4:30, we set off to Seattle. I love that woman so much. Her friendship has become a gift over the past couple years and I really wanted to do something special to mark this point in her life. We got coffee from her favorite roasters/cafe (Cafe Vita), at a location she'd not yet been to. We wandered in the rare sunny Seattle weather, and then drove over to the Triple Door.

I know I am my Father's child, because last week when Rose messaged me that Mindy was playing at Mars Hill's Easter Service, I totally played into it, all the while having the tickets for the night before. Then, as we were driving to Seattle I was telling Rose about how I'd just missed getting tickets for the Civil Wars at the Triple Door and she said "LB, we've gotta go to another show at the Triple Door, together sometime." I smiled and agreed.
After our downtown wandering, we were looking for a parking spot and I determined to just park next door to the venue. As we drove by it, she goes "Let's see who's playing tonight-- Mindy Smith!" And I smiled and pulled into the parking garage and said "Happy Birthday." With the following reaction to the surprise, Rose just earned a spot on my "Fun to surprise list" for sure. I encourage you all, find a way to surprise her, you will enjoy it more than she does even. We then spent the evening enjoying good food, good wine, good music and a great friendship. It was definitely worth looking forward to all this time, and time with her reminded me all over again that she is definitely worth celebrating!


Sunday was Easter and time with my family. I remembered two things all over again. A: I love my family. B: We are out of control. C: We are not for the weak of heart or humor. I am happy to report that both of our guests survived. Also, my mom is an amazing cook.



(PS, I can count- please don't leave comments about how that was three things.) ;)

1 comment:

kaylee@life chasers said...

HA! I totally noticed the 3 things...
you chopped your hairs?! I wanna see!!!