Monday, April 11, 2011

I discovered a girl in our book club who doesn't like Shakespeare. I'm trying to not judge her as a person.

But I get to pick our next book, and I'm having a VERY hard time resisting the urge to make her read a Shakespearean play. When I suggested it, her face contorted like she'd swallowed a bug. When I asked her about it, she said, "Well, I tried reading The Tempest once. I didn't like it." WHAT?! Tempest or not, how can one be so easily deterred from Shakespeare? Ever heard of Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, The Taming of the Shrew, Othello? COME ON!? I think admittance to any book club should require that you have at least read the entirety of one of Shakespeare's plays. You can all thank the Lord that I do not lead a book club, there would probably be an application form one would have to fill out.

A. Do you like Shakespeare? Please list your top two plays and why.
B. Please list three other authors you have read (and enjoyed) and a short paragraph on the highlights of each.
C. In one paragraph (concision is critical), please describe what you would like to gain from being a member of this book club.
D. Please list out your baking abilities, starting at your greatest feats.)


Please note this is all in play (*pun*). I am enjoying all of my fellow book-club members, especially this non-Shakespearean one. Give me a year anyways, I'll win her over to Stratford-upon-Avon. ;)

4 comments:

samara said...

Hahaha... after hearing her version of this story, this makes me crack up! I love it!!
You should make her read shakespeare! I've always wanted to read Mid-summer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, or Othello =)

ps... i don't know if I could be in your book club :( I don't have very many baking abilities as of yet :( haha

Kristin Kelly said...

You really should be a college professor. I have only ever read Comedy of Errors and you still love me. (P.S. many believe that the person King James hired to translate the bible was actually Shakespeare as the language and style is so similar to his.) I do read the King James version of the bible and it is a sin to say you don't like that. : )

Unknown said...

A. I do not like Shakespeare and will not read Shakespeare. AND I do belong to a book club that thank God will not choose such literature - yuck! :-P

B. I love Francine Rivers, Nicholas Sparks & Jodi Picoult. I don't need to give an explanation why.

C. The only gain I would seek from joining your book club is the sweet treats that are made each week!

D. As far as my baking abilities, I can only say, "I have taught you well Grasshopper."

And to Kristin - you know, The King James Version is the ONLY right version out there ;-)

LOVE YOU MEAN IT!

Theresa said...

This might be one of my favorite posts of yours so far :D