Tuesday, April 26, 2011

THIS IS NOT MY LIFE.


The above is what I dream of, but it is not my life. Not today. Yesterday was a bad day at work. We've had so many good ones the past few months, I forgot that when it's bad, it is bad. I worked an extra hour. Went home, ate, brushed my teeth, got in bed, picked up my book and was asleep by 8:30pm. This morning, I still needed coffee, bad. My sister and I caught the same elevator up, and we encouraged one another for the day, hoping it would be better. Today, yesterday looks pleasant. But thankfully, the terror shouldn't last past 9:30am. But yes, today... not going to be easy. We were greeted at the front desk, before even clocking in, with the sort of storm we were going to have to weather, yet again. Yesterday, "working with your sister" made it a bit tougher, hopefully today we do better at making it a strength and support.

For some reason, this picture (below) brings me peace. I have my worship playing, more coffee at hand, and a peace that overcomes pain, stress, heartaches, allergies, rude callers, promises and hopes delaying, mean bosses and bad days. Whatever it is for you today, find the peace that surpasses all understanding. The photo below might help you too. ;) It makes me think of the post I read last night by John Acuff (can you tell I'm on a bit of a trend lately?), his article "The Soft X" describes those seasons in life where things aren't going as we dreamt, and in all our hurt and frustration God responds gently, "I know, my son, I know" - just as Israel did to Joseph, when he bestowed the blessing on the other son, and everything turned as he didn't expect.

Acuff described it, "I think of the tenderness of Israel with his arms outstretched and crossed. I think of our desires and our dreams and the times they don’t work. And above all, I think of a God who wants to tell you he hears you, he loves, he knows you. He is not disconnected or disinterested in who you are and who you want to be. Today, he says,

“I know, my son, I know.”

No comments: