Monday, April 04, 2011

Yes, yes, I took the weekend off (thank you Braden for the much-applauded facebook comment). Here is why: A month or two ago, Esther sent out an invitation to a few of us ladies to come spend one night away in sweet Paris (please pronounce: Pear-EE -- go back and re-read if you did that wrong, thanks). Little did any of us expect quite this. I woke up that morning, thought What would I wear in Paris? Grabbed my passport, my sunglasses, Bon Courage (thanks Linda!), and headed off to work. When I arrived at the Swaty's chataeu that evening, the house smelt heavenly. Esther greeted Meg and I then said, "Here let me show you your rooms." It was a genuine get-away. Our rooms were beautiful, every little detail Frenchly accounted for, down to the Les Mis and Julia Child books on our night stands. Our names hung on the doorknobs, lavendar on our pillows, with little CD-gifts she'd compiled and an amzing unique quote for each of us (we are lit girls- you woo our heart with the written word!) The evening progressed with the most amazing dinner, bacon chicken and a mushroom creame sauce. Asparagus. Incredible salad (with cilantro- praise Him!), tomato salad (?), bagettes, wine, cheese platter, fresh baked madeleines for dessert, while we watched Coco. The next morning we were treated to mimosas, french press, hot appple gallettes, homemade whip creme. Everything was so lavish and detailed. She'd had French photos framed, made baskets, bought all her ingredients fresh at the market. We even have a French book coming to each of us in the mail! What an unparalled time! Not to mention, it was an evening with Esther, Meg, Rose, Anna and Elisa... a pretty remarkable group of women with a lot of gumption. ;) Saturday, after breakfast and much great chatting about literature and purity and love and changing the world... I ran to my physical therapy (massage) appointment, ran home, showered, back out to a lesson, cleaned, read a book, took a nap (just want you to see how perfect this day and weekend were!), then woke up, packed a bag and headed out to Monroe. I love the drive to the Mitchells' house- and I especially love it at dusk. They let Auri stay up a little late (thank you!) and we enjoyed your sweet laughs and chattering over wine and cheese. Then spent the next few hours playing some crazy board game, sipping espresso and eating sherry wine cake. It is amazing how much Auri has changed in the 3 or 4 weeks since I last saw her! She's completely a little kid! She loves to be read to and played with, you can wrestle with her on the floor, and she will chat and chat and chat (though you don't have a clue what she's saying). She is precious. And I had so much fun playing with her. I spent 24 hours with the Mitchells. Overstayed my welcome? You would think so, but I guess not. It's tough when you see each other once a month, or 2 months..or. Auri was being dedicated the following morning at Monroe and it was so fun to be out there with all her adoring family. Elise made a big delicious lunch and we spent the afternoon with the personalities of my childhood. How wonderful to be with Aun Sue & Uncle Dean, Aunt Ivy & Uncle John, Grandma Betty, my parents, the Mitchells, and then Elise & Jeff, Rob & Aime, and their daughters. I love that I am now the Aunt Kati and someday she'll look back at the pictures of her and I, just like I do of my Aunt Sue and Aunt Ivy. Elise is such an incredible mom, I love getting to just watch and glean, and at times, just laugh. After everyone left, we played another round of the board game, cleaned up, and went for a walk. Then, Bible Study and walla... it is 11pm on Sunday night (and no blogs).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I'm amazed at Esther's thorough planning! Love that!!

Haa, but I have to comment on your "walla" :-) Did you mean "voila"? Which is also french by the way? :-)

Katrina Hope said...

NO, I meant "walla" - which is very washingtonian.... it is short for "walla walla" ;)

Theresa said...

What an amazing idea! I love it and am going to steal the concept :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah.. sure Kati Lady. ;-)
.. and way to go, Kimmers !! You beat me to it.. You make me proud!
heh heh

Cami said...

So jealous of your time with Esther ;) how fun!

Rose said...

:) I wish that night at the Swaty's went on forever, and we would never get tired and never get full. I think that's what heaven will be like.