Friday, April 22, 2011


Last night, as I was falling asleep, a train of thoughts lead me to my favorite morning coffee drink. We call it my "morning drink" -- or, we called it that. In the mornings, after completing all of our tasks (with Theresa)... or not (with Aaron), we'd make ourselves a drink to help wake up. Trust me, few things are worse then an uncaffeinated barista at 4am. I can't actually order that drink, without sounding like a very stuck up jerk. And truth is, I don't think any barista could make it just right for me anyways. But both Theresa and Aaron could, and I suddenly started missing them terribly, and my early opening mornings with both of them. I love that I still get to see them both occassionally (along with my other Starbucks peeps). But, I don't get to enjoy that experience with them any more, nor will I ever, and that sometimes makes this very sentimental little girl, very sad.

I had actually forgotten about my last shift at Starbucks, but last night it came back to memory. I had been scheduled to close with a stranger (a borrowed partner), and she was a jerk. Really, one of the top two worst shifts I ever worked. I'm sure I wasn't the most pleasant thing either, being my last shift, and no one I knew to say goodbye to. I'd written my goodbye note on a piece of paper and left it on the back desk, as my eyes were filling with tears and this stranger was huffing and puffing at me to get out so she could lock the doors. I walked out, and walked to my car without a word to the girl. I got in my car, locked the doors, put my head on the steering wheel and bawled like a baby for 10 minutes. I'm not good at goodbyes. Turns out I'm even worse without them.

Sorry for the sentimental sad post, but wanted you all to know I love and miss you... and T and Aaron, I especially miss my opens with each of you: music blasting (T-Swift, Country, Disney, random whatever with you T), and Fields of Gold (how it always came on, I'm not sure!) with Aaron. I miss tying on my apron as you flick on the lights and unlock the door and we hope that we get to see Chris and his sweet old dog before we have to see crazy lady... and we wait for Susan, who's been in her car out front for an hour to put down her book and blackberry and come in for to order her "almost coffee." And I especially miss you handing me my delicious morning drink, in a for-hear cup, with the breve all resting atop. I even miss the rough mornings when T knew to give me a hug, and Aaron knew to give me a short cup of amazingness that somehow made things better!!

Miss you all. And I am so proud of where you each are at, and that is what helps me be content to say goodbye to where we all were, together. Besides, summer is rolling around the corner and we have some marshmallows to roast at Alki (I think we all agree to not try them again in Aaron and Andy's oven!! lol).

Love you guys... Aaron, T, Ryn, Cristie, Megs and on... (I don't think any other 352ers reads this..)

PS, see how you are? ;)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

This just made me smile and tear up at the same time. I'm so glad I got to work with this amazing group of people and even more that we are friends. I miss this so much, cannot wait for the smores round 2 this summer. Love you

Theresa said...

Ryn I had the same reaction. This time in my Sbux life was so amazing. I am so blessed to have you all in my life... hopefully I will see you all soon :)