Friday, September 14, 2012

Leaving for the train in 3.5 hours.  Suffice to say, I'm having a hard time focusing at work today.  Two cups of coffee, a waterbottle and a plum later and one hour and 27 minutes have passed. 

....

My backpack is sitting behind my chair, my purse is tucked away in it, bus pass and wallet in the outside pocket.  I'm ready.  :) 

.....

Last night was full of laundry, cleaning and errands.  By 9pm we were dropping off my mom's vacuum and grabbing a few of my left behind belongings.  And then, we were standing with a flashlight and a giant pole picking plums from the yard.  I have a delicious bag to prove it.  My mom was laughing at us most of the time.  And I think John might have realized I'm crazy finally. But I love plums! I'm kind of greedy about them too. 

Have I already shared this?  If so, just skip to the next paragraph.  The house I was born in in Edmonds had a kid's dreamland backyard.  The perfect reading tree.  A sport court.  A green lawn that I always remember green.  And best yet, cherry trees, a huge apple tree and a number of dwarf plum trees.  The birds got the cherries before we ever had a chance, but the apples and plums were ours for the picking!  I wasn't much about the sour taste of the green apples.  Today, I'd probably love them for pies and glazes.  But plums are like candy!  They are so sweet, without being overwhelming.  And if just right, they have the tiniest tang of tart to surprise you.  When we moved my first grade year, I missed those trees.  Eventually, somewhere around high school, my mom planted me a plum tree at the new house.  I think she planted two actually.  :/  A few years ago, it finally started growing fruit.  And this year, it is dripping with deep red plums!  I keep getting giddy at the sight of it.  I think one more week and all lower fruit (reachable) will all be ready for the picking!

One day I wil have a house.  And it will have a plum tree.

.......

13 more minutes passed...

No comments: