Monday, May 24, 2010

I couldn't stop smiling on Saturday. :)

Upon pulling up to the park we've spent many Fridays feeding the hungry at, Joel thought he saw the couple I'm always scanning the park for. It wasn't them. 

We collected our sandwiches and water and headed into the park. Not more than 10 minutes, and a couple came walking across the street. The gentleman smiled huge at me and said "You know who we are?" And as he started to say, I cut him off "I know who you are!" They waited..."Darren, and Rhonda Walker!" I couldn't help but smile HUGE. I have seen these two on and off over the past year, every time being so deeply impacted by their tender spirits and sincerity. Their deep trust in the Lord reaches to the roots of who they are, and spreads out across the trials they've faced. From there, that trust flows out in every word they speak. Rhonda's sweet spirit and subtle humor reminds me of my godmother. I can't help but love this woman. 

They had just returned from looking at the apartment they are preparing to move into, and they were beaming as they showed us the form and told us all about it! It has been a two-year long process for them of waiting... one which we have gotten to walk through the past year of in a small way. I've been praying for them, not as fervently as I should... but they are in my heart. And seeing their joy and excitement- I was infected!!! 

Oh Lord- the sweetness of YOU. That He allowed us to see them, to cross paths, yet again. To share testimonies, to encourage one another. Darren prayed with the boys and Rhonda asked to pray over Madison and I. They are always looking to bless and to give out- themselves having lost what the world would call "everything." But they don't call it that. They just testify to the Lord's faithfulness to them and their children. 

I love them. I love the Lord more for them. I can't recommunicate all that was said- and it wouldn't be as powerful if you couldn't see her face. 

They are moving in to this new place, and they didn't say to me that they still need more of the move-in fee (they have never asked us for anything- we've had to ask THEM how we could bless them), but I believe it came across to Braden during the prayer that they still need some of it (I think).  Regardless... I want to bless them. I have Rhonda's voicemail number, and a number of us young people who have been going down there from time to time (and especially those who have had the opportunity to speak with the Walkers) are going to pull together what money we can and bless them with a chunk of their move-in fee (I believe it is $324). If you want to join in: text, message, or call me. :) If not, no worries- I just wanted to extend the opportunity to you all. 

I love the Lord's faithfulness, and I love His people who can walk through the pain and doubt and still declare, "He is faithful" and minister to others. We walked into the park thinking we would minister to those 'in more need' and every time we have run into the Walkers we have walked away thinking, "wow. wow. thank you God for that blessing!" Rhonda's prayer for Madison and I was that we would never forget who we were, or the faithfulness of Father, through every situation we walk through. Her life has already been speaking that into my heart for the past year. 

Hopefully you will all get to meet them soon, they are planning to come to CCK. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow how cool! Thanks for sharing this story :-)

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

:)
I want to go with you guys again...

Katrina Hope said...

Elsa, we are going down next saturday (6/5) around noon ;)