Friday, May 14, 2010

Procrastination: the great over-achiever. 

I am always amazed by what I can get done, when I am putting off an assignment. Yesterday, I cleaned my (clean) room, vacuumed, did a load of laundry (towels... mine was already done, I've had a week of this remember). I stopped myself when I began redecorating and rearranging. Then, I decided to upload all the pics from Elsa's memory card and export some to facebook.

This morning: worked a shift at Starbucks, made coffee for dad, cleaned the bathroom, doing another load of laundry, checked facebook, and am about to go for a run (and it's not yet 11am). Procrastination, it is the best friend of progress and the enemy of discipline. 

As Jon Pinkston reminded me weekly through my two years of SLT, "Discipline is doing what you ought to be doing, when you ought to be doing it." 

Yet, to confess.... I need mental breaks (and exercise!) or I'll go crazy in this project... and if I must take breaks, I'd prefer they be productive ones that make my room and bathroom clean and orderly. Cleaning: the way a Kelly girl handles stress. (Also, sleeping. And for me, exercise.)
 
I swear, my room never looks so great as during midterms and finals!  ;) 

[You can now add blogging to the list of Procrastination's achievements this morning!]

4 comments:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Hahah... I can totally relate. My car isn't exactly always clean because I'm a neat freak. :) (That's only a wee bit true)

Abigail Renae said...

hahaha! ME! so me. hilarious!

Anonymous said...

It's true. And it doesn't end with finals sister. As you can imagine from my week, My room and car are immaculant, laundry is done and many other things on my to-do list are getting done. I think it is our form of feeling in control.
Kristin

Anonymous said...

IMMACULATE control freaks!!! :-P