Monday, May 03, 2010


I think I need a sunrise. 
Always, I see the setting sun. 
Always, I relish the dusk. 
But I need a little reminder.
I need to see a new dawn,
I need to see colors that whisper, "awake" 
And promise, promises are on the way. 
Only, wait. 


I slept a LOT last night (and I say 'night' loosely). And somewhere in the midst of the hours, I had a thought. You know the verse in Song of Solomon where the Beloved says, "I slept, but my heart was awake"? I find that to be one of the truest statements lately. I feel my heart never sleeps as of late, and on occassion when the rest of me is just drifting between sleep and awake, my heart whispers little secrets to me. 

Last night, my heart must have been long-pondering the skies, for all the sudden, I was aware of it pouring out the lists of the promises God has made with people, through the skies. He promised Noah, then gave him the rainbow as a reminder. He told Abraham to look up at the night sky, and promised him more than the stars. Jacob, he wrestled under the moon, and gave him a dream of a staircase to the heavens. (maybe that one's a stretch, but I don't think it's too big to claim... my heart certainly didn't last night.) 

My heart was thinking of the Lord- the promise of the coming sun, the coming morn.
David thought often of it too- he'd awaken the dawn with his praises. He'd liken the Lord to the rising sun. He saw the faithfulness of the Lord in the morning moments. 

It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night. 
Psalm 92: 1-2

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Return, O Lord! How long? Have pity on your servants! Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
Psalm 90:12-14

I'm waiting on the dawn. I'm waiting on His promises. And tonight, I'm wrecked by His love, His faithfulness, His grace and forgiveness, the nearness of Him while I wait through the night and all its unknowing

1 comment:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Love love love! The last couple days I've been listening to "Morning Time" by Will Reagan & the United Pursuit Band over and over :) I suggest it!