Monday, May 17, 2010

So, funny story. The girl who was going to cover my shift this morning so I could stay up late and also spend this morning finishing my thesis. Well, she spent the night by her toilet- I woke up to a phone call at 4:40am asking if I could come in after all. I could...and did. I think she got the worse end of the deal. 

The upside of having to work this morning was I knew my manager was going to be receiving an award, "Manager of the Quarter." I don't think I realized how big of a deal it was though- around 8 am our district manager and some 20 others came strolling in with flowers, balloons, cards and lots of cheering. Apparently he was selected from among some hundred stores. 

It's bitter sweet- we've all come to like him a lot, and he actually DOES deserve that award I believe. He spent a month running our store, and another so that the manager of that store could take some time off to grieve and process the death of her husband. Other managers from our district had taken a couple weeks to help as well, but while he was there he actually ran it like he cared. He interviewed and hired new employees. He tried to implement new policies to improve the store. He had some of us over there each week helping out, and helping him observe the store and how it could be improved. And ultimately we've found, he's a good guy. 

For me personally, he's encouraged me and offered me the opportunity to step into roles of leadership that I actually care to take. He's always bringing in new coffees for me to try, and making me new exciting drinks. He allowed me to go through the black apron process. And he's done extra little things like invite me to go along with him to corporate for a coffee roasting. 

So, why is this bitter sweet? 

He's leaving. His plan has been to get into the accounting department at corporate, and he has. It came faster than even he expected, and I know we are all excited for him. But, this means going through the process of getting to know a new manager, and them getting to know us. It means a lot of re-learning, and re-adjusting. And, it means uncertainty about the character and personality that will soon be leading our store. 

It would be easier to bear, if Theresa were not leaving as well. Theresa, our un-assistant-store-manager really helps our store to run. She's finally getting promoted to the role she's been playing ever since she has come to our store and this is not one person at out store (and probably the Kirkland district) who is not excited for her to receive it- she's worked so hard, and helped everyone in some way or another. Yet, seeing our two store leaders leave in one summer.... it has me quite sad. I am so ridiculously sentimental. I almost cried at work today... because I was happy for Aaron, and sad. 

I don't like seeing people come into my life- in any role- and then leave. I think this is one reason why the line from MacDonald's Phatastes is always so dear to my heart, "Perhaps her life will be the sweeter for holding now within it the memory of what came, but could not stay." (from memory... could be off slightly..) How many times have I spoken this to my heart, it can't be counted. But, change is good. And good is coming. 

Congratulations T and Aaron- you are both so wonderful, and such a blessing to CP. 

(T- glad we did become more than coworkers... because now I get to keep my friend.) :) 

2 comments:

samara said...

Thank you for posting this, especially the quote from phantastes. I'm still trying to get my hand on a copy of that book and i cannot wait to be able to sit down and read it!

Theresa said...

Love you too buddy. And I haven't been promoted yet so you will be stuck with me for a while longer