Tuesday, June 05, 2012

I'm finding myself wanting more time and a simpler schedule.  Mostly, so I can do more.  Kind of ironic, right?  In the rightful sense?  I want to do less, so I can do more.  I guess it is all about trade-offs.  I want a day where I have nothing to accomplish, so I can wake up and read as long as I want, sipping coffee, then tea, then maybe more coffee.  Laying on the couch.  Maybe watch a movie marathon.  I want to get up and wander favorite neighborhoods, wander from shop to shop.  Grab lunch wherever.  And then I want to do that again the next day, and the next.  I realized this morning, what I want is summer.  A good traditional summer, like you never get again after childhood.  And then I decided, I am going to let my children truly, deeply relish summer.  Because they will never get it back. 

I love my childhood summer memories. 

That said, once all the excitement of June through the first week of August passes, I am making a point to live my weekends like a summer vacation.  I'm going to avoid plans.  (Sorry folks.)  I'm going to wake up and decide what to do - longboard, read, wander, hike, watch cartoons and eat cereal, write, or lay by the lake. 

In order to spend time with the important people in my life, and accomplish goals, I have had to master "planning" and scheduling.  And the next two months are the epitome of that.  I'm okay with it.  I wouldn't give up that time or those people for anything.  But, I think a season of the opposite is necessary.  And I hope that you all will understand.  It doesn't necessarily mean you will see less of me, but you might. :/  Don't worry Kristin, Esther, and other mysterious friend who is also moving, I will be making sure to soak up every minute, hour and sun ray I possibly can with you... it just might be a lot less structured.  Which, I think you'll like.

I need a season of doing less, so I can do a lot more. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... summertime under the gently
swaying leaves, alone in a tree, quietly enjoying Beetle Bailey, Sad Sack or Wiley E. scheming and chasing that infernally fast bird..
Such bliss. It never comes back. Or
as Thomas Wolf so succinctly put it
"You can never go home, again"..

Kristin Kelly said...

What perfect timing for such an idea. I hope you enjoy longboarding with your new longboarding buddy, whoever she may be. :P