Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What a lovely weekend. I've kind of shied away from writing these sorts of posts as of late. Seems silly to detail out my weekends, especially when they repeat some of the same key ingredients each week (which believe me, I am not complaining). But, this weekend had some beautiful moments I happened to try to capture a shot or two of and I decided to share. Saturday morning I woke up early to beat the traffic I knew would be heading to Fremont just like me. I parked my car, picked up coffee at my favorite coffee shop and walked a few blocks to Johns. We spent the morning relaxing, avoiding the naked bikers in the Fremont Solstice Parade, and making breakfast.




When I say that "we" relaxed and made breakfast, I guess I mean I relaxed and John made breakfast.  I helped with the shopping, but that was about it.  I just feel I should give credit where credit is due.  And I'm not due much of it for the deliciousness in the photo below. I cut up one tomato.  Which turned out to be an extra tomato.

When we figured it was safe (I really didn't care for a 60 year-old, painted blue man to be the first naked man I'd ever seen in person), we walked outside and watched a bit of the parade. There were a couple cool things, and parades are always fun, but I'll admit I was pretty hung up about all the cute little kids who'd watched some pretty interesting things that morning.

I love Fremont, but I don't love all that that parade champions. It sparked a lot of thoughts in me about what kids should and should not see - when do we stop protecting our children?
Where is the line between letting them make mistakes, and keeping them safe and pure. I know ignorance does not equal innocence, and dangerously we can equate them in the Christian world. But, I'm not sure. There is something about protecting a child's eyes and minds. I know my 4 year-old will not be watching that parade. Beyond that, I have a lot of unknowns and questions. I don't want to over-protect my children, but I definitely don't want to not protect them either. If there is the fear of the Lord in me for one thing, it is for our responsibility to protect the innocent, and especially to protect children. How much more the ones in our own care. (Matthew 18:6, Mark 9:42)

Breakfast was incredible, and after a project or two (okay, just one though there was ambitiously a few planned) it was time to go celebrate with Elsa! We are under 2 weeks and the festivities are in full swing. :) I love all the women this wedding has provided extra time with. And I love getting to watch two of my dearest friends prepare for the beginning of their marriage.


I didn't get photos of the rest of the weekend, but they were equally fantastic. Sunday we saw a performance of Rackmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 by the Seattle Symphony.  I would know nothing of the piece (except for Rackmaninoff's weird condition, marfan syndrome, thanks to Toni), but John rented Shine for us to watch on Friday in anticipation.  If you didn't know, it is a BEAUTIFUL piece, and also considered one of the hardest pieces to learn on piano, due to Rackmaninoff's unbelievable 12 key span. Absolutely one of my favorites so far.    Then, the rest of Sunday was spent at home with the fam and a few friends, celebrating of course my amazing Dad. :)  While everyone was posting pictures of their dads all day on Sunday, I showed mine I love him by not posting pictures of him.  See that, Dad?  True love.  The kind that lays down their camera for another.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked that you blogged about John :-)