Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My good friend, Erik, just posted this photo.   He's in Paris.  This is the one reason why I can't imagine not visiting France.  I've never been the girl to dream of Paris - until I began studying architecture.  If you've been following Hope is an Anchor for more than 2 years, you will remember when I first discovered Abbot Suger and fell in love with the story of Gothic architecture.  You might also remember the index cards I began of the places I want to visit.  A number of them are cathedrals in France.  This photo almost made me cry.  I am so excited to see my friends when they return - I cannot imagine this architectural space not changing them, at least a little bit.  How could you stand inside that piece of history and not become something new, some new part of that story. 


XXVII
[Inscription on the bronze doors made by Suger for the Abbey of St. Denis]
Whoever thou art, if thou seekest to extol the glory of these doors,
Marvel not at the gold and the expense but at the craftsmanship
of the work.
Bright is the noble work; but, being nobly bright, the work
Should brighten the minds, so that they may travel, through the
true lights,
To the True Light where Christ is the true door.
In what manner it be inherent in this world the golden door defines:
The dull mind rises to truth through that which is material
And, in seeing this light, is resurrected from its former submersion.

1 comment:

{meg} said...

What a gorgeous inscription.