Friday, June 01, 2012

I've been seriously considering two ideas, and I'm warning you right now, what I am about to say is not a joke.  I get asked a lot if I'm enjoying my job, and the truth is, I really am.  But my position isn't really turning what was presented to me, at least not currently. I am learning new skills, but not quite getting the experience I'd hoped.  And moreover, I miss writing.  I'd taken this position hoping that a change from law to architecture would also bring more creative work opportunities.  There have been a few.  And those have been great new tools.  But mostly, I fill out spreadsheets.  And I still don't love Excel. In short, I miss writing.  And I still really want a job where I get paid to write.  What?  Really anything.  I'd love marketing too if it were allowed to be my focus and I were given a few more resources and liberty to be out and about.  I still receive the mass mailings from the English Department at UW and every few weeks I see an internship at Seattle Met Magazine open up, and I want it.  But going back to an unpaid internship???  Can't exactly happen - unless - they'd be flexible with my hours and my current boss would allow me to adjust my schedule a bit temporarily.  It would be asking quite a bit I feel.  But I would LOVE to write for the Seattle Met one day (soon).  And really, I need more experience.  I've been feeling the pressure to keep crafting my career, intentionally moving in the direction of my dreams and collecting the skill set I will need along the way.  Right now, I'm learning Photoshop, a lot more about the business of architecture, some accounting skills (I hope I don't really need), perhaps a bit about visual composition, and realizing I should also be using this time to re-master the basics of grammar and clarity.

The second thought (and remember, this is not a joke): become an airline stewardess.  I love flying.  I love travelling - and I've done hardly any.  I'm 25.  I'm relatively free in life, no family or major career I wouldn't want to walk away from.  Ideally, it would allow me flexibility in my schedule that I've been craving, and opportunities to write.  I think the travel could enrich my writing, and in general just help spur it on.  (I've been having the hardest time writing since starting my new job - I don't feel creative.) It also would provide free flights for me and discounted flights for my family and that sounds wonderful, with one sis in Tennessee, another soon in Spokane, and friends all over the country....it could be really cool.  I've thought about the idea here and there for the past couple years, it just never sounded "wise" when looking at my long term career goals.  But, if I want to be a writer and not locked to a corporation per se, it might be exactly what I need. 

Maybe, pray for me.  That the Lord would make it clear and open up the right doors.  Stay where I am.  Add an internship?  Find a new job?  Join an airline?  All I know is I feel like I'm wasting a part of me, and no matter how hard I've been trying lately, I'm not writing anything worthwhile.  I just end up closing the page without ever saving or posting.

No comments: