Monday, June 11, 2012


Saturday night I had a fun surprise.   My mystery evening turned out to be dinner at The Blind Cafe.  Quite a wild experience, and probably one I would never have done myself, but I'm so glad it was planned for me.  Meeting people in the dark, where you cannot see their face is wild!  I've heard the concepts on "color blindness" and all the rest, that really end up being hurtful more than helpful, but it was remarkable when I found myself completely unable to make any assumptions based on the appearances of the people I was sharing dinner with.  I don't think I've ever been so self-aware of my own tendency to draw information from appearance.  Not only that, but how little we rely upon our other senses to discover.  Or perhaps, how much we do rely on our other senses to discover.  Notes in voices - drops, or perhaps utter silence.  Tastes, textures on our tongues.  What cues might let us know another wants to whisper something - how did I know when to lean in when I couldn't even see another leaning in?  I'm really not sure.  Or music, and the experience thereof.  Sounds and notes and words, bows on string or fingers plucking. Snaps of finger.  Frustration.  Joy.  The sound of a smile.  Love.  You can hear it.  And eventually, one flick of a flame and your awareness of its light.

It was a definite learning experience, learning about the daily experience of people who face challenges and opportunities on a daily basis that I have never known.  Learning about my own tendencies and how I draw information - right and wrong.  Learning about the powerful senses we were given.  How amazing that we can not just see, but taste and touch and hear and smell. 

The Blind Cafe travels through a number of cities.  You missed this stop in Seattle, but we spoke with the creator of the event and it sounds like you have a very good chance of them making another stop here soon.  The event last weekend was hosted by the Fremont Baptist Church.

Experience A Concert & Sensory Tasting In The Dark! The Seattle Blind Cafe, is a mind bending / heart opening experience where the audience will indulge in a 'Sensory Tasting Experience', participate in a Q & A with their blind wait staff and enjoy a concert of original music by Rosh & One Eye Glass Broken...all in the pitch dark!
A delicious Sensory Tasting Experience will be prepared with love to delight your senses by our lovely volunteers. Your heart and mind will be opened as you embrace the poetry of Rick Hammond, celebrate the darkness with your blind waitstaff, while indulging in 'unencumbered music listening' without the distraction of visual conditioning, social etiquette & your cell phones!
This is NOT just a another dinner in the dark...it's a community experience where people connect, learn and grow from working together to participate in something greater than themselves. The Seattle Blind Cafe is designed to help you feel more alive, awake, present and connected to your world.

With the love and laughter of those at your table you will break bread together, building friendship and community on a night you will never forget or SEE! A portion of the proceeds from this event will be donated to help support the blind community in Seattle.

No comments: