Thursday, August 30, 2012

I love 1920s fashion.  Little details.  And once again, I could say, "I liked it before it was cool."  Except that, I'm pretty sure it was cool in the 20's.  I started loving it back in Junior High.  Not in the dress up in it on a daily basis way, just in adoring the hemlines and shoes and hairstyles.  Oooh and Awwing with my mom as we watch old movies.  I don't know that we shut up through Singing in the Rain (released in 1952, but the style in the musical has a lot of similarities in the shoes and wastelines- I also love the 40s and 50s fashion) when we saw it at the 5th.  Every new costume brought a new comment from us to each other.  I'm sure that could get annoying to the rows behind us (which is all the rows - slight brag?  maybe.), but we figured the bright stage lights prevented the performers from seeing us - besides, there were constant smiles on our faces.  My mom picks me up little things here and there that reflect the generation - hats, jewelry. 

This morning, while walking the downtown streets of Seattle in my new dress... it struck me: has it all just been about the hemline?  And that, just for comfort?  I picked up a new dress last week that I'm in love with, the hem falls low on my hips, the front has a beautiful seafoam (almost) pleat, the neckline hides most of my collarbone in a soft round swoop.  It's comfortable and pretty and flattering.  (And it was picked out for me by Miss Cline, but more on that later today.)

But the most important part of it is, it is entirely loose on my stomach.  I hate things tight on my stomach.  Not even tight, fitted.  I changed out of my bridesmaid dress halfway through my sister's wedding reception because I couldn't stand having it fitted on my esophagus for one more minute.  It makes me nauseous.  And panicked.  I'm secretly terrified of wedding dresses.  :/  So you see, the majority of my style is built on this simple fact.  If it is fitted, it must be fitted at my waste/hips and it must be loose on the top. 

The 20's are the perfect image.  And I'm wondering if that's what has been subconsciously behind it all, all along.  That, and my secret world in which I imagine all of life as a movie with Fred Astaire and myself as Ginger Rogers - a tap scene around every corner.  It's really a miracle that I don't own more sequins.  I do sometimes buy shoes based off of the sound they make when I walk/click.  And shopping malls?  I usually can't resist a bit of a tap solo.  Alderwood is marvelous if I'm wearing the right shoes.


**I know so very, very little about fashion.  And I know it.  I just know what I like, and I use my best descriptive abilities to communicate it.  Judge kindly, you who know.  ; ) 

No comments: