Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Old Frost once chose a path in the woods and it made all the difference in his life.  I chose a soccer team and it has certainly changed mine.  I know what you are all immediately thinking.  And yes, it certainly brought a boy.  Sorry, a man.  And one amazing one at that.  I find it highly entertaining, seeing as there were certainly some who suggested I might "meet someone" at a game and I always rolled my eyes.  I joined the team to play soccer.  John joined to make friends.  Welp.  :/ 

But beyond serving as one competitive and kind of smelly meet cute, it has also introduced me to a a group of incredible people, all joined by some strand or another and thrown together on a field, wearing a blue t-shirt and probably, like me at this point, there half because of the delicious snack at the end of the game.*

Speaking of those delicious snacks - I've met one of the coolest families through the Blueberries.  For much of our first season I thought Chris and Emily were dating - it was confusing.  Especially when I realized Emily was in high school, and Chris was joining us at a bar.  When I realized they had the same last name, I thought for a brief moment "What? Married?!"  Oh no, siblings.  Season 3 (?), introduce another Amundson: Kim.  So far there's three, and I hear there's more.  I especially adore these two girls, they are truly unbelievably kind, loving, and hilarious.  And they bake treats. :)  We called Emily our "team mom", which some misheard as our "teen mom."  : / 

I say all this, to share a blog post I just read that completely inspired me again.  Kim is currently living in the Democratic Repulic of the Congo, and you can follow along on some of her incredible adventure and reflection on her blog,  3Point4DegreesSouth.  I've linked to her recent post, a slight tribute to the beloved berries.  ;) 

[Small world?  When I heard Em was heading to Pepperdine this fall, I tried to connect her with my cousin Amanda.  Turns out Amanda, and Emily's sister, Kim (who I had yet to meet back then) were already friends.  Who knew?]

*That was all one sentence.  I like to blame these on having read too much Hemingway now and save myself the trouble of reworking.  *guilty smile*

No comments: