Friday, December 18, 2009



A few days ago, I had one of those moments where I felt a slight check: am I being myself?

I was driving alone in the car and was evaluating a bit, as many of us do this time of year. My family has a Christmas tradition of giving 3 (some years 5), 'gifts to the Lord.' It's really more of a gift to ourselves I guess... He doesn't need us to give Him anything. Regardless, they can be anything. Last year a few of mine were to take better care of my body, not just exercise but doctors appointments when needed- resolving health issues I sometimes (okay, more than sometimes) like to ignore. I was convicted by my care of His temple. There were several promises; some I accomplished, some I haven't.

But this is where I began thinking of who I have become, and who I am becoming. I was thinking on who I once was, and the changes I am grateful for.... and the pieces of who I once was that I miss. There's a balance of who I know I am called to be, and it involves being pure, true love that requires great self-control, and it also involves not being intimidating to others. I don't want walls up. I also don't want my pet-peves or OCD to cause others to someday feel like they can't be themselves around me. Practically: I NEED my bathroom to be clean, and I really love my bedroom to be in shape, bed made in the morning, drawers all lined up, floor pretty. However, I don't want to be the woman someday who friends don't want to come over because their house isn't clean.

It's these two battling parts of me that want to be orderly, controlled, self-governed.... and the other side of me that's a little crazy and free. I'm not totally certain what the ratio is supposed to be yet, but I miss something about who I once was. I think maybe I've been trying to be something I'm not... to a degree.

It's easy to look at what you want in life, and try to be what you think seems fitting to that neat picture. But I know ultimately, that won't make me happy. I do NOT want to orchestrate my own life, nor do I want to fall into something by default. I want to be who God created me to be. I want to be who I am. It seems all the more important these days as I draw closer to that 'someday' of marriage. I'd like to be who I am, and trust that the Lord will bring along the man who loves all the seemingly-opposite pieces of who I am.

Perhaps this year one of my gifts will be to find who I am.... who He already knows I am... again. I expect that this is a never-ending process... perhaps some of you ladies who've lived a few years longer then me can chime in and give a little big sister/motherly wisdom....

What should be my perspective in this? Should I be intentional? And if so, how itentional? I know once again, there's a balance of just trusting the Lord and just being but there is also an intentionality that will bring me even more growth and better fruit...

(Mom, Kim, Linda, sisters... others who may be reading... please, invest..)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kati and Kim,  You have been given the gift of seeing the way for order in the mist of chaos.  This is called an admistrator in the world and they are will paid and greatly needed.  It is a struggle that never ends.  This need for order in chaos and not letting it take over your life and rob your JOY.  That defeats the gift that God gave you.  People need your gift to help them overcome the chaos that has overcome them. If you keep the compassion and understanding that you will aquire in in the mist of this struggle you are now in.  Be humble and embrass special time that God has for you right now.  He gave this gift to you for His purposes It just needs alittle perfecting.       But my wonderful daughter I have to take responsibility for the "friends over thing"  I grew up in house that no one cared for the home and I took on the responsibility of it all at a very early age so others wouldn't see the "lack of caring."     Their is a balance and we all struggle with finding it and staying in it.  But My Love how clean your bathroom is has nothing to do with how deep your thoughts are and the joy you give to the ones that are around.  Do not allow the JOY GO that you have for others. They do not come to our home for clean bathrooms they come for your gift of JOY.  If they do then they came to the wrong house because time is to short to worry about such things.        Its your peace that I most concerned about.  Find peace in cleaning and do it for yourself and God.  It's the heart for the care giver for the home that God put in you that when given the blessed man that belongs in your life that it all fits together. Yes I too have to continually go back to the "giving it all to Him so it cand be used for Him."

Love MOM

Kristin Kelly said...

I think accepting all the parts and really understanding that the Lord loves the pieces that make us who we are allows me to really walk in who I am. Being intentional about not letting yourself become what you are not but who you are is who you are...Can't force that. Don't need to.

Unknown said...

I'm all too familiar with the struggle of being too OCD and wanting things a certain way. But there is a point where I literally have to force myself to draw a line and say, "who cares, it's really not that big of a deal if my floors don't get mopped this week." I love to entertain, and I love to take care of the things and steward what I believe God has gifted our life with. There is a balance to find, I would much rather have my friends run over last minute and see my dirty house, then tell them to stay away cause I didn't have a chance to clean it. After having a husband who works outside in the dirt & grass all day and two dogs who are covered in mud - I know its only God's way of preparing me for the little dirty kiddos lined up in my future ;-) And it has NOT been easy at times trying to let go and let things be.

As for a future husband. Don't EVER look at your girlfriends and think - oh, if I could be more like so & so in this way, maybe I too would be ready to be married & be a wife. The husband God has for you, is just as unique as you are. He will have traits that God will use to sharpen you, mold you, challenge you and bless you - but you just continue to be just the way you are. For example, I could have spent all the energy in the world learning how to be a neat freak as a wife, but God still would have brought a messy man into my life ;-) haa!

And the reason why God may be letting you wait a while longer to meet Mr. Man, could be because God's working on him too :-) Don't be afaid to continue to discover the way God made you to be, the things He created you to love and to be passionate about and the dreams you want to pursue - because the man God has for you, will be on the same page. I love you Little One!!

Your story will be amazing and so unique and someday, I promise, you will look back and laugh and think, "What was I worried about? God totally knew!"