Thursday, December 31, 2009

It made me laugh.

I'm adding my most recent book to my "book journal" and as I flipped back to what I was reading this time last year, I had to chuckle. I remember Kris and I laying on my bed reading. When suddenly she looks over at me and asks, "Are those tears?"

My only reply was "he was a good man."

She replied with an expression somewhere between confused, concerned, annoyed, entertained, and maybe just a little bit frightened. I tried to explain that Bran had died, and what a great character he had been throughout the trilogy. He was not a main character, just a solid figure always in the background and I was suddenly struck with tears when he lost his life at the end.

I guess crying in books is becoming a December ritual. Yesterday, I sat alone on my bed, tears trickling down my cheeks as I read through the final 50 pages of The Last Song. I know, I know, I am a sap. And this past week I've been more of one than ever... I've cried like 3 times this week. That's more than the past 3 months I think! (I know what some of you are thinking-- No.)

PS, I wish Nicholas Sparks would stop committing film-suicide by allowing such poor casting of his films. Miley Cyrus? crap. Channing Tatum? more crap. He brings unbelievable characters to life, and then poor acting murders them. :( Who knows, maybe Tatum will surprise me with some hidden talent. As of now, he's just a pretty face. I do think that the singer of the background song in the Dear John trailer sounds an awful lot like his voice (I thought it was him... but it's Snow Patrol) .... I'll try to give him a chance. I really do want him to do well in this film, despite my apprehensions. I'm just preparing myself for the worst... Miley Cyrus? REALLY? And the guy playing her 'man' (Will, aka, my dream guy), not at all what I pictured (or how Sparks describes him). dangit.


For those of you who have been confused for the last 3 minutes, Nicholas Sparks (author of the novels Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and Nights in Rodanthe) has had two more novels brought to the silverscreen:

Dear John
The Last Song

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love, love, love. One of his best books in a long time, glad you liked it!