Saturday, April 17, 2010

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Revelation 1:12-18

I've been thinking... I want to hear the voice of rushing waters. I was in worship, and as the music swept over me and washed around me, I just let go. I rested in it. And it was in the midst of that moment that I thought I heard the voice of rushing waters. As of now, I think it sounds something like a piano.

Today, I'm just trying to write the sound of the rain drops outside my window and it seems too grand a feat for my pen. It's moments like now that I wish I played an instrument.

So rather than writing, I'm just sitting here dwelling on the passage above. I want to see the eyes that blaze fire and hear the voice of rushing waters. As of late, I feel like I've been remembering who I am. Things I hadn't forgotten, but as I'd watched others develop certain interests and affections that I've had, I stopped really considering them my own. I can't explain it. One is the stars. Not just the abstract romantic idea of the stars, more the heavens. I can't remember not loving what the night sky reveals of the heavens. We were still living in Edmonds, so I wasn't yet 5 when my uncle stood with me in the driveway and pointed out the Seven Sisters, Cassiopia, Orion and others. I don't remember why he was over, or why we were standing out in the driveway, but I've never forgotten staring up at the stars that night. When I was in 10th grade my dad and I laid out in the yard and watched what will likely be the greatest meteor shower of the century. We counted 108 shooting stars in one hour. I've never seen anything so spectacular. I remembered two nights ago, the stars are still mine. They're as precious to me now (again) as they were before I ever watched another discover them.

I had a dream last Monday night, and it started with me staring at the moon. It was night and the only night that could even come close to the beauty of the sky in that dream was the night of the meteor shower. I stared at this huge magnificent moon, and then suddenly it started to swirl and I looked to the right and there was another moon. I asked some friends, "What is that?!" When they all responded, "The moon," I pointed to the moon- beside it. As we all stared in wonder, this magnificent orb began to dance and spread out across the sky. As that one circle spread, it became irredescent so you could see through it... like a fine cloud. Only they were swirling and dancing. Then all the sudden I realized 'they' were angels. I am not one to dream of angels typically (at all). I just stared and watched- they were huge and though they were as far as the other stars in our galaxy, I could see they had a human form.

We watched the sun rise. And as it was suddenly day, one of the angels came and spoke to me, a friend, and my sisters. I treasure what he said to me, I know it was the Lord. And after Sandi Freed's dream she shared last night, I now understand it all so much better. But I also just treasure that the Lord gave me a dream, and He gave me back the night sky as my own wonder and delight. I'm in a night season, but it's a mystery and a wonder and it's mine to enjoy again. I know the sun is about to dawn and I know the Lord is already beginning to accomplish all He has promised to me, for the words I most remember from the angel are this, "He's already begun."

"...because of the tender mercy of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace."
Luke 1:78-79

"The darker the night, the brighter the day; the fiercer the fight, the stronger the faith. So I place my hope in You. The deeper the sin, the stronger the blood; the more to forgive, the more reason to love. So I place my trust in You... In Your ways Oh God, redemption is so much better than perfection. Over and Over again You prove yourself faithful, Over and over again, You prove yourself a Redeemer."
-Kristene Mueller, Redemption



She Walks in Beauty

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Lord Byron

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What can a father say of the beautiful things his daughter writes?... WOW! weak, I know.. but in a way, what does one say when looking up at the night sky and seeing the very creation of God.. WOW!