Monday, November 29, 2010

A couple days ago I started thinking about Ruth. Seemingly, out of no where. Her response "Where you go, I'll go. Your people will be my people and your God will be my God" just began to burn in my thoughts and my heart. I realized that I want to have that same heart--- and at the same time, began pondering why it is that that is so righteous in the eyes of God. Why did God bless Ruth? Why did He have her story written and included in the Bible? I had even forgotten momentarily that she was King David's grandmother (wow- think on that! I love David, a LOT, and to look at the woman who was his grandmother- you can certainly trace some amazing qualities passed down, as well as from Boaz!)

I decided to read it on the bus ride home today (I fell asleep and had to finish it when I got home tonight). Such a remarkable story. I want to have that level of trust and abandon. Something in my heart just longs to give that commitment.

I love that Ruth was committed to her mother-in-law too, the way she loved and laid her life down, literally. She counted her own future as nothing. And I began thinking how her decision to return with her mother-in-law to 'her people' also meant that she was able to follow the traditions of Israel, which provided for her husband's inheritance to not be lost and his name not forgotten at his city's gates (through a redeemer). This is just such an incredible story- Naomi, Ruth and Boaz are all such incredible people. I want to learn to walk my life out with such humility, selfless and righteousness.

I love how God cares about the whole story- the generations that led to David- and on to Jesus.

No comments: