Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My sister remarked on my poetry blog the other day "You never have people's faces in your pictures!" Apparently, she took an entire class on this- and how it dehumanizes people. I love it. I don't think it dehumanizes, I think it forces you to notice details you might not otherwise- it requires you to not overlook a person in all that make them up- they are more than what you typically see or are used to looking at. And you can find so many little secrets about a person when you take time to look at them, really look at them. I also of course use it on my photography blog because it manages to draw you to detail while also broadening the 'poem' to be able to reach specific one who places themself in the poem. That is the challenge of writing, it must be so incredibly detailed and specific, and applicable to that one reader who finds themself lost in the pages, whoever that one person is.



I love it. I love the story of the photo above. I titled it "class" in my photo library. Perhaps I was just raised on too many old films- but that hand says he is strong, compassionate, dangerous, yet a care-taker, the type to sing in the car, and knows how to lead when he dances. He has style, cares about details himself. The type of hand that says "you're safe with me." The type of hand you trust... to drive, to lead, to hold.

2 comments:

Kristin Kelly said...

1)It not only dehumanizes, it objectifies.
2) He has gloves on. That says killer in all the old movies I have see.
hehe. j/k. kind of.

Katrina Hope said...

but he's by a car, so they aren't killer leather gloves, they are driving gloves ;) Just means he is planning to take that (BEAUTIFUL)car (and me) around some amazing roads incredibly fast... probably in Italy, along a cliff, by the oceanside. Think, "How to Steal a Million" ;)