Friday, November 19, 2010

Theme of the day: Things I love.

1. Cracked pepper. I love Specialty's Bakery because they put cracked pepper on this delicious little treat called a turkey, swiss and cream cheese croissant. They also put it on the bacon and turkey breakfast sandwich I am eating right now (they decided bacon + turkey = turkey bacon. It's more meat then I've had the last month combined, but it's covered with cracked pepper, so, I'll eat it!)
2. Cilantro. A year or two ago I suddenly became addicted to cilantro. I still am. I will sit and chew no it plain. And pretty much eat anything that has it sprinkled on it. I feel about cilantro the way most people feel about bacon (don't get me wrong, I like bacon too).
3. Gingerbread. I LOVE half white mocha/ half gingerbread lattes. Love.
4. Eggnog lattes (from Cafe Vita). Kristin and I have walked down to Cafe Vita twice this week.... even though it is like 6 blocks away. We actually managed to find an 'errand' that put it 'on the way' (sort of). We also managed to find a book sale while on that errand... or rather, it found us. And I now own 10 books from the Life Cooking Book Series. Also, a "Growing and Cooking With Your Own Herbs" book. Guess what I'm going to grow? ;) (Hint: see 2)
5. Autumn. 'Nough said.
6. Breakfast. I think I like breakfast more than dinner. This has something to do with the fact that most of my life, I've gotten sick after dinner. But breakfast never seems to make me feel sick. :/ Not sure what that is. Also, I just love how people are at breakfast... just waking up, the whole day ahead of them. People are themselves at breakfast. They're unshowered (usually), unmade up, they have to trust the people at their breakfast table. I don't know- I just love it. Dinner is fun too- but it has protocol and standards and appearances and courses. Breakfast has food. And coffee. Maybe juice. If it has courses, it's lavish not just 'expected.'
7. School. I miss it. I heard in a song the other day "If you're too school for cool..." And I laughed. That's me. No reason to argue or pretend. I miss school. I love being able to pick my own books these days and spend more time with people, but I miss school. I miss class discussions, and questions that lead to discovery and new information and understanding. I miss the pain of learning. I miss writing assignments, creative assignments, reading assignments, group assignments! lol. I miss my crazy classmates.
8. Reading.
9. Fires.
10. Hot drinks. Any and all (pretty much).
11. Walks
12. Running
13. Live music. Music is just better live.
14. Memories. (happy ones- or ones that make you happy now looking back.)
15. Family.
16. Kids. They are amazing. They are always willing to forget and move on... to make a new friend, have a new adventure, create a game, laugh, cry, scream, be and love being. They love without worrying if they should or shouldn't, or haven't enough. (Yep, making myself miss the Ruff kids now).
17. Creating. Be it drawing, coloring, designing, scribbling, sowing, anything. Time spent being creative.
18. Architecture. The study of the history of it. The appreciation of it all around. The combination of utility and beauty amazes me. We take it for granted nearly every moment of our lives. But it is remarkable and stunning. I can't wait to travel Europe, looking on all it's structural wonders.
19. People. Loving people. Getting to know them as they really are- as how they see themselves, as who they want to be, as who God sees them to be. And loving them into that. We are such interesting creations- how we grow and change, and how we can keep one another boxed in, or allow each other space to change and create. How we dream and hope and love. I know my calling is related to this. To bringing people in to something, and creating a place for them. I don't think I am a people pleaser (at least not any more), I think that's because God's kept me in a place where I know I can't please everyone at once, and so I have to just please Him and be content to love the rest. But that said, I'm one of the richest when it comes to people... I have such incredible treasures in my life!! And I just want to learn to steward and care for them.
20. Mushrooms. Last winter I made my cousins stuffed Portobella mushrooms for dinner, with a spinach, chicken and mushroom salad. Found out Katherine doesn't even like mushrooms. Yeah, felt a little bad for that one, but it has definitely become a joke for when I offer to make them a special dinner. :)
21. Spinach. Love it. Lettuce in general in fact- good fresh, crisp lettuce I'll eat plain!
22. Cheese. Yep.
23. Vegetables. Pretty much any. My mom and I go crazy when the Yakima Fruit Market opens each Spring!
24. Brushing my teeth. Feels so good! I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse... just in case I get a moment.
25. Being read to. I've always loved it. My dad spoiled me as a kid. I used to get kristin to read to me too- even through college :) We also had a record player that would 'read' stories to me if no one else did. I loved that thing!
26. Elephants. Love the big creatures, with their ancient looking skin and tender-seeming demeanor.
27. Black Pilot Precise V5 (and V7) pens.
28. Random hello texts/emails.
29. Letters in the mail.
30. Pajamas/Sweats. There is nothing like the feeling of coming home and putting on sweats and just cuddling up.


PS. I do not love the song, "These are a few of my favorite things" and I especially do not love that people consider it a Christmas song. I just thought this was as good a time as any to get that off my chest.

No comments: