Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oh man, I got blown away by some great poetry last night... I'm half inspired, half discouraged. One of the guys was 18 and he could write! I kept repeating lines in my head after him, hoping I could commit them to memory. Either way, I realized, I have to start taking more risks with my writing. I have to improve. I need to be doing something with it... and actually making writing a priority. It's great to train, and I know I will always be training in one sense, but then comes the time to do what you've been training for. The time to step out of the boat. That story has been lingering in my heart the past week... We need courage to do great things. I've learned that this past year or two. But courage comes when we hear Him over the crashing waves say, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid" (Matthew 14:27). I'm learning that right now. Courage is the response in our heart to hearing those words from God. Courage isn't something we muster up. At least, I don't think so. I'm listening, so I can get better at hearing those words over the waves... because I am sure if they really get into my heart, I'll respond like Peter, 'If it's You, command me to come to you.' And I'll step out of my little boat, being tossed by circumstances, and I'll wreally live the life I say I want to live where I go where He goes... I'll walk on the water.

A few favorites:

"Why can't a man be measured by his notes?"
"Is a man only as deep as the pool of blood he stands in?"

"I'd wear your smiles like metals."
-Gibson

Then there was another poet, a woman in her early 30's I'd guess. Her last poem blew me away...I want the words to it. She works with an organization called Youth Speaks and she'd written the poem to the young people she works with, addressing drug use.

"Have you ever bled sunrise and called it release?"

Wow, I love the power of the spoken word.


The poetry wasn't even the focus of the evening, it was a collaborative round of musicians... it was really quite cool. :)

It didn't hurt that I was sitting between Rose and Kristin. What a fun evening.

No comments: