Monday, November 15, 2010

This was such an incredible weekend.

I was feeling worn down, and hurried by life. I decided to take a personal day and set it for Friday, a week out (now, last Friday).

I then set up hair appointments for my mom and I, and scheduled breakfast with my mom and dad for Maltby (my favorite breakfast place).

When Friday rolled around, I was like a little kid. Strike that, I was like the little kid I am. Just like holidays, I rolled out of bed, ran upstairs and crawled into their bed and woke them up. I haven't had time with just me and my parents in a long time it feels and I was pretty excited.

Being that I had a hair appointment at noon, I decided washing my hair would be silly (besides, they say your color will set better if it is not freshly washed). So, I put on some casual clothes, tied the hair back in a pony tail, washed my face, brushed my teeth and journeyed out.

My parents left five minutes (at least!) before me, so I assumed they'd have already arrived at Matlby. I parked and hurried in. Walking down into the cafe, I peaked across the tables and saw a couple familiar faces. Not my parents. Oh no. Well of course the morning I expected to see no one, I would run across several of my closest guy friends randomly out to breakfast at 10am on FRIDAY!?

I genuinely tried to hide as I peaked through the shelves along the entry area, scanning for my parents in the tables. Within a few seconds I see Braden waving, then Joel and Nate. Caught. They waved me over. Somehow I had beat my parents. The guys could tell I was caught off guard and a bit embarassed. So of course, they did what they do best... they teased.

My parents showed up soon after. Breakfast. Hair. Then my mom decided we should get our nails done, since we both had the day free. After nails, it only seemed right to make sure our nails were dry by wandering along the little shops on Mainstreet. We ended up at an antique store, admiring old hats (we share a love of vintage hats). I spotted some more along the floor and as I pointed, we both spotted a little black beauty.


As an audible sigh of surprise and excitement escaped both of our mouths, I dropped to my knees to get a better look at the little black typewriter. "I wonder if it works!" I said, and my mom sent me to the man at the front of the store to ask him. He assured me it did and pulled it out and set it on a table with a sheet of paper.
"Do you want it? I'll get it for you." My mom offered. I was so excited! She informed me she'd left her name and number at several stores already with the request that they call if a typewriter is brought in.

I suposse it has already been over a year since I spotted a typewriter while at an antique store with my friend Theresa. I loved it. But I couldn't afford it. Months later my parents were away on vacation, and their room had an old antique typewriter on the desk. They took a picture, thinking 'Kati would love this.' And I did. As I understand it, that began my mom's search for the gift.

My typewriter is perfect. Truly, truly perfect. It is classic and beautiful, timeless and working! Kolleen's remark was, "It's like a little baby grand." And I guess it is my little baby grand: I plan to compose something beautiful on those keys. Aesthitically she is on to something too, with its shiny beautiful black frame. I've already written a letter on it. Turns out, I need some practice.

That was just the beginning to my wonderful weekend. Meg's arrived a couple hours after mom and I got home and set my little treasure on my desk. She spent two nights, and we had such an incredible time. Other surprise visitors came over Friday and we enjoyed a non-traditional time of pumpkin bread, caramel apple cider, fairytales, Byron, TS Eliott, and Monty Python with a wonderful fire. I love fall.

Saturday, I was blessed to enjoy the women's holiday brunch between Meghan and a new friend Emily. Meg and I returned home and back to our pajames and the fire, enjoying West Side Story after soup and bread. Tea. Then Pho with our Pho-loving friend, and then Emerge. Red Robin after (at the fun end of the table- with my Toni, her Ali, Megs, Emily, Heidi and my Twin-Todd.) Sunday just continued the enchantment of the weekend. Greeting at church, a timely word, time by an open fire with my typewriter, then a nap, bible study, molly moons (with emily for her first time) and swing dancing.

In all, it was the amazing blessing of time with family, new friends, old friends, and soon-to-be 'old friends' with just a splash of quiet time alone by a fire. :)

What a weekend. I feel blessed... and filled up.

1 comment:

{meg} said...

You honestly have no idea how much the weekend with you blessed me! It was exactly what I needed after the last two weeks. God has so blessed me and loved me through you Katrina Hope. Thank you for the fullness of your affection. I love you dearly!