Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday morning.

Friday's are wonderful. They are 'jeans day' at LLF. They are 'latte friday' at LLF. And Lars (one of the attorneys) and I just decided, they are Specialty's breakfast days at LLF.

Fridays are also when most of our seminars are scheduled for, for example... today. Our last Contracts & Lien Law in-house seminar of the year is scheduled for today. If we have two or less register, we cancel. We cancelled this seminar.

Only, our register online function on our website, is been disfunctioning. I know this because our last in-house seminar had three more attendees than I had planned for. Yes, I was three coursebooks short. I didn't have the name cards for three attendees. And didn't have any contact information for follow-up information, for three attendees. Maybe you're not realizing how much of a problem this caused. And what did all three attendees inform me when I asked them how they registered? "Oh, I registered online."

greeeat.

After a month of hackling and sending out borderline abusive emails to our IT guy, our website guy, and our accountant... it appears the issue has somehow been resolved. We've gotten some registration emails. Yet.. the problem is, you just don't know when you don't know- right? I mean, if you don't have the email, how are you to know you are missing it? (I hope you are all picking up on my intentional dramatization of this issue... because it's sort of my life right now. And hey- life is just more fun when it is dramatized.)

So...yesterday I made 4 of each type of course book they'd need for today's seminar. I went home last night and set my alarm an hour early. I got up, made a pot of coffee. Took a shower. Put on my beloved jeans (not my skinny jeans, ahem). I did my hair (bangs make that a requirement now- not sure why though since the walk from the bus to my building ensures they are a wild mess each morning when I arrive at work). I strolled into work 45 minutes early. Prepped the conference room as I would for a seminar day. And sat down to wait.

Every time I hear the elevator *ding* I look out past our glass doors into the hallway. No one.

It is now 8:35am. Seminar attendees are asked to arrive by 8:15am; however, they often arrive closer to 9am. I think we are clear.

Perhaps I forgot to explain why it is good we don't have a seminar today. Why in fact I called the one guy who registered last minute, in order to tell him we were cancelling the seminar. You see, Larry typically teaches the seminar. He's currently in Maui. While he can work from there, he can't exactly teach from there (though I could see him trying). David, his son, also often teaches this seminar. In fact, he is teaching it today... in Vancouver. That leaves Christian, who doesn't quite consider it his strong point. And Lars, who's never taught it before. They'd decided to split it up, one teaching Liens in the morning and the other teaching Contracts in the afternoon. But let me tell you, both were eager at the opportunity of cancelling.

8:39am. *ding* (It's Karen- the other attorney's assistant, phew.)

Today is going to be a lovely day. LOVELY. Theresa is coming down to meet me for lunch, and I think she is bringing a special friend for me to meet. :) Then, I get to have dinner with Bianca (and ?) and see Novalis at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Yes, lovely lovely day. And I had the greatest walk from 4th and Union this morning. I've decided I like getting off the bus early, it get's me to work a few minutes earlier and allows me to see more of the beautiful Seattle each morning. Today I wandered pasy Lully Yang (Linda & Jordyn, she has new incredible dresses in the window!! It's more from the Ocean Line.)

8:43am. *ding* (Kristin.)

No comments: