Wednesday, October 06, 2010

My sister Kim sent me an email today entitled "distraction."

I should have known not to open it. She sent me a link to one of the coolest wedding websites. At which site, I found a link to this incredible jeweler's webpage. I LOVE looking through the metal work on Etsy... and this site joins them. I haven't even made it to the wedding rings yet (but I saw a couple on the wedding website's homepage and they were INCREDIBLE- so unique and beautiful. True craft and beauty!)

Look at these necklaces though- I'm sort of in love.







Turtle Love Co. Check them out- the way they get their jewelry and what they ensure in the process is as cool as the end product.

Okay- coming back to add to this blog, because these two engagement rings are beautiful. I can lean two ways when it comes to wedding rings (and weddings in general). I waver back and forth between wanting something stunning and elegant and over the top.... or simple and beautiful and economical. When it comes to beauty, I typically prefer unique and personally designed over mass produced, and just like 15 other women walking the same street as me in seattle. Likewise, I really do want to care more about the process that brought that piece of jewelry to me. I want every part of my life to be a reflection of choosing responsibility and love over my own personal comforts. When it comes to weddings- I have a hard time excusing in my head, spending the massive amounts of money that weddings really cost... for what? a one day party that really is all about two people making vows to one another. Truly, how much do we lose sight of those vows in the midst of all the rest that's pressed upon us in a wedding planning process. I want to marry the man of my dreams- and I want that day to be perfect and beautiful, and surrounded by the people we love and have been loved by... but is all the rest necessary? But here is the wavering part, I also want to bless all the people who come to celebrate with us, by giving them one of the most enchanting and memorable evenings. I want them to celebrate with us, and love every minute of it. I want them to walk away smiling huge smiles, and remember that night forever.... just like I know me and Mr Hubby will.

I'm a total little girl and dreamer. I own wedding magazines, I have a file on my desk top entitled "Hope Chest" with it's own file for wedding ideas. I have my bridesmaid dresses picked out. I even called one of the stores that is supposed to carry them to try to get more details on them. (I can't believe I just admitted that--- but don't blame me, I am also a HUGE planner and detail oriented... and it kills me to just leave the practical of 'does this dress still exist' and 'how much is it' and 'where is it carried' as blanks). I have all these fun ideas floating around in my head and on my hard drive.... so just ignoring them and having a backyard wedding, kinda makes me a little sad too.

What it comes down to is, I will be so excited when the day comes that I meet the fellow who will be making these important decisions with me, and filling in my dreams with all the colors it is missing. It will be a fun day.

That said, I love these rings. I don't think I'd want them as my own wedding band, but I do think they re beautiful. If you've noticed my purity ring, you'll have noticed I like simple. If you've noticed any of my jewelry actually, this probably won't surprise you. I love authentic and unique metalwork. These are sweet. I've long been enchanted by the idea of marrying some man who doesn't have a lot of money... of toughing it out together in the early days. I want to look back and laugh together about the things we did to cheaply entertain ourselves and decorate our home. I want to build something together.



And again, the wavering... I also love another, pretty fancy style of ring... sooo very much. Anything vintage, has a certain hold on me. Of everything, I think I'd best love the whole 'this was my grandmother's ring' thing. But hey, who knows.

It's no where near the time for me to be worrying about any of these things... instead, I need to be focusing on my essays for my cambridge application, which I was told today I should restart on. :( ugh.

3 comments:

Abigail Renae said...

omg. i just went there and shamelessly bombarded jordan with links :)

Katrina Hope said...

HAHA, ABBY- I LOVE YOU!! lol

Theresa said...

When you become rich from all your novels and poems you can just buy these rings for yourself, then your mr. someone can pick the ring that represents the two of you best.