Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Being that I spent most of yesterday thinking it was Tuesday... I'm feeling a little lost in the week.

Right now, I feel like it's Monday, or Wednesday. Maybe Thursday. And it's probably rounding close to noon, or maybe still 7am?

No, my clock tells me it's Tuesday, the 19th of July. And it's just a few minutes past 10:00am. I keep checking.

My sister is beautiful. She's always beautiful, but this morning, I sang to her because she's so beautiful. She left me a triple iced espresso on my desk. And she didn't even know how badly I needed it after a late night of playing with words.

Someone just sent an email with the subject line "kindly advice." Hmm. Unfortunate. I can tell that's spam without even opening it. Typically real people who need a lawyer's advice, know how to spell "advise." Perhaps I'm more awake than I realized. :/

For some reason, when my mind is in that in-between spot of being forced to function, but not really operating, it retreats to daydreams of food. Which lately sends me to What Katie Ate. I want her cookbook (Hint, family. Hopefully it's out by Christmas/January). I just saw the most beautiful photos of homemade tortellini, which got me thinking about some of my food fetishes. I love spinach tortellini. In a deep devotion sort of way that would wear it as a band of commitment around my finger. It's hard to find good spinach tortellini though. So, I settle for anything else spinach.  I annoy my family with my addition and substitution of spinach for pretty much any other form of lettuce. (I detest arugula. It's bitter. It resembles shriveled up dead green bugs. And it's surprisingly difficult to eat gracefully.) I like other lettuces, but they just seem like picking the scrawny uncoordinated kid first on the playground. Why? When there's spinach there all dark and handsome and full of nutrients.

BLT? You saw mine. Bacon - Spinach (yes!) - Tomato - Egg.

Other foodie fetishes? Mushrooms. I've heard mushrooms have a myriad of magical medical benefits. I've never heard one of them listed. But, I believe it. It's just like the original Mario. Level one: invisible magical mushroom arriving out of nowhere? Bonus (life). In the same way, mushrooms appear magically in nearly everything I cook.

Cilantro. You've all heard this enough times. I threatened my family I'd start rubbing it on my wrists as a natural perfume. We all agreed that might not draw my ideal man. Good idea. Bad implications. I'll stick to adding it to every meal I can.

Rosemary. I love having it out in my garden now. A little fresh rosemary (and sea salt) on grilled burgers, or fresh baked breads. Delicious. And even I seem like I know what I'm doing.

Oh food. How pretty and delicious you are. You are my mind's dazed happy place. (Believe it or not, I'm not even hungry right now.) I think I've been reading too much food-centered literature. Time for a new book.

No comments: