Friday, July 22, 2011

Something I more than like, I love.

My family teases. A lot.  So much that at times, I hate it.  But I don't.  I love that they've taught me how to take teasing, how to be confident and laugh at yourself.  Laugh at how ridiculous I looked when I tried to smile without showing my braces. Laugh at how obsessive compulsive I am about my bathroom being clean and my bedroom in order (which is a complete disaster right now). Laugh at my extreme devotion and commitment to traditions being kept on family holidays.  And while I do love this about my family, and my dad especially, who has a horrible tendency of teasing me behind my back (literally), that is not the something I am thinking of right now. 

My dad is also the reason why I write, why I want to be a writer, and why I have the ridiculous confidence to actually call myself a writer.  His little comment I just got today made me start crying at the front desk.  I feel like most everything I most want in life is either on hold or on "no."  So to hear my dad tell me that my writing is improving and that something is 'well written,' well, that is surprisingly all I need to hear.  My dad has made a fuss about my writing since I was in 5th or 6th grade, telling me "you're a writer."  It was like something inside of me just woke up.  He's held onto dozens and dozens of cards and notes and letters, left tucked under his den door at night.  He's prized my words since before they carried any weight or were measured out with any skill.  I love that my Dad saw something in me as a little girl and has continued to call it out across the years.  Writing has become one of the most consistent things in my life, a promise never in doubt.  It's a starting point I could always return to.  [I know I just ended that sentence with a preposition, but I like how it sounds. So, I'm leaving it alone. Process. Recover. Forgive.]

On the other side, my Dad loves that we can hear his voice and recognize when he leaves a comment as "Anonymous."  Consequently, he never signs "Dad" in his comments on any of our blogs.  Also, you should know, Kristin's is actually his favorite.  She posts the perfect amount; I post too often and Kim too infrequent.  Plus, Kim's blog makes him crave her cooking, and mine requires hours of "catching up."  Kristin puts it clear, quick and has no photos of yummy food.  ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, yeah yeah.

Kristin Kelly said...

lol. That is really funny.